Need help understanding...

SILENT-SNIPER

I have a little problem. I recently purchased an aftermarket stock with an aluminum bedding block for a Weatherby Vanguard. It is now vertical stringing 8" groups at 100yds. I was told the barrel needs the pressure points in order to freefloat the action. How can the action when torqued to specs in an aluminum bedding block be freefloated? I did take out the pressure points out and still had to shim the front of the action 0.075" to get the barrel to float which took away the vertical stringing. I am very concerned about putting stress on the action with the shim. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

"...barrel needs pressure points in order to freefloat the action"???
Somebody's got their wires crossed on that one.
My preference would be to freefloat the barrel with at least 1/16 inch clearance (I prefer more) and bed the action, torque it up and test fire it again.

"...barrel needs pressure points in order to freefloat the action"???
Somebody's got their wires crossed on that one.
My preference would be to freefloat the barrel with at least 1/16 inch clearance (I prefer more) and bed the action, torque it up and test fire it again.

I agree with you. That is why I am having trouble understanding their "concept". I am by no means an expert on guns but something just isn't sounding right to me here. I just don't want to overlook something in my limited knowledge and call a definite B.S. on this before I educate myself more.

Thanks!!

Only thing I can think about what the "free float" statement could mean is if the aluminum blocks are V shaped. The Choate Ultimate Sniper stocks are made that way so that the sides of the receiver are not touching anything....only the rounded bottom of the receiver where it sits in the V....but whatever....the "free float" doesn't make much sense relative to the receiver.

S-S, I've bedded several Vanguard rifles and removed the front pressure points. They showed greatly improved accuracy. There are some very good articles here on the subject. I've never seen an aftermarket stock which didn't need some bedding, some were downright sloppy.

I agree with you. That is why I am having trouble understanding their "concept". I am by no means an expert on guns but something just isn't sounding right to me here. I just don't want to overlook something in my limited knowledge and call a definite B.S. on this before I educate myself more.

Thanks!!
Go ahead and call BS because that's what it is. Pressure points on the barrel cannot have any effect on the receiver being "floated".

If the receiver is bolted down it cannot be "Floating" period.

I've never seen a rifle not shoot better with a free floating barrel than it did with having the barrel in contact with the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.