[help] Unable to load ammo with Ogive

xugz0212

I have a bergara B14 hmr in 308win, which has Ogive at 2.2815'' with sierra MK 175gn bullet. So I tried to reload my ammo with 2.2615'' ogive. It turns out the 1st round in magazine is able to be loaded, but the following rounds in the mag all stuck between breech and mag and are unable to be loaded. I've deducted the ogive to 2.2500'' but still the same. Am I doing sth wrong or shall I keep deducting until it loads properly? I have to mention the rifle and mag have no problem loading federal gold metal 168gn.

First thing would be if the first shell loads OK, Could it be weak neck tension and the bullets are being recoiled out of the case and getting to long to cycle. Check the O.A.C.L. of the shells in the magazine, After firing the first round. May have to us a light tapered crimp to hold the bullets. If no movement of the bullets, You will have to shorten O.A.C.L. till it work through the magazine. You may have to go down to the Federal load in O.A.C.L. Good Luck finding the cause and cure.

morning, never owned a hunting rifle with a magazine,
never will!!! have a 788 in 223Ai. can not load the magazine
with extra rounds because of the length of the
loaded rounds. so 1 shot 1 kill. just me GBOT TUM

First thing would be if the first shell loads OK, Could it be weak neck tension and the bullets are being recoiled out of the case and getting to long to cycle. Check the O.A.C.L. of the shells in the magazine, After firing the first round. May have to us a light tapered crimp to hold the bullets. If no movement of the bullets, You will have to shorten O.A.C.L. till it work through the magazine. You may have to go down to the Federal load in O.A.C.L. Good Luck finding the cause and cure.

Good advice. If the case neck can't hold the bullet, after firing the first round, this could be the problem. If you load from the top, the last round is not all the way in the mag. (The bullet points slightly up for feeding and never gets all the way down in the magazine), If this is the case and the necks are tight, you will have to shorten the cartridge overall length. Measure the magazine length and go buy that dimension.

J E CUSTOM

You will probably need to leave just a little "extra" room in the mag box. If they just barely fit, they will get slightly longer as they angle in the box and get stuck.

Should be an easy fix.

Steve

BULLET, OGIVE
The curved forward part of a bullet.

MEPLAT
A term for the blunt tip of a bullet, specifically the tip's diameter.

Maximum COL from head to tip of 308 winchester bullet, should not be longer than Saami listed 2.810"

You term using ogive has me confused?? :confused:

Years ago I started a thread asking the definition of ogive. It was interesting. 243winxb is correct, it is not a specific point on the bullet. The actual oal is what needs to be paid attention to in this case. If the bullets used are inconsistent in regards to length then they need to be loaded so that the longest of them is not able to cause a binding problem in the mag.

Steve

There are tools that do measure case head to "ogive"

In this method , the "ogive" is a set diameter on the bullet.

If the OP reference is to Col, then i think there is a magazine problem? A guess.

Make small adjustment at a time. Open to much and rounds may pop out to soon.

Try a different magazine first.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, guys! Yea, it turns out my OAL is too long (>>>2.81'') with the measured ogive.

I did use tools to measure ogive, same as this video:

Problem with a gauge like this with a tangent ogive on a long radius, is a .0002" change in dia can reflect a relatively large change in length to "ogive".

Steve

Yes it will cause pressures to be different. Measuring to the tip is only for magazine fed guns. On a single feed you can put the bullet out to where your gun likes them. Usually a little into the rifling or just a little jump.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.