Help selecting barreled action upgrade for factory REM 700

Through my research, no. Save your $, yes they have the cool factor but for your application I don't see any advantages. If you found a smoking deal on one by all means go for it.

Most barrel makers have charts outlining their barrel contours, figure out which one suites you best and start shopping. Personally I wouldn't be overly concerned about 1:8 unless you are dead set on pushing 195's for elk. Your bullet weight is perfect for deer and adequate for elk. Everyone I know is running 1:9 for 180's with less horsepower.

Plenty of in stock barrels to shop from unless you're wanting a custom contour or groove count. I've vowed to avoid Bartlein after they ravaged me from behind so I'd look at krieger or brux, my money says the kreiger will last longer. As for accuracy the leaders board doesn't lie.

Even if you have to order a barrel, Brux will probably deliver in 2 months. You can get ANY twist you want and they will flute down to a #3 which is at least as light as a carbon fiber for 1/2 the cost You can try some on line retailers like Bugholes, Bruno Shooters Supply, etc. or check overstock inventories by the manufacturers.......Rich

Well....after all the valued input & shopping custom action prices I think I can save some $ on action replacement & divert to a quality barrel & blueprint factory 700 action during barrel replacement. Now the choice of barrel?? Have been researching availability(some 5-6months out) from the majors, Krieger, Hart, Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek...... & distributers. Limited in stock barrels with faster twist than 1:9 in 7mm. Have found a PROOF Research barrel available with 1:8.27 twist, "Sendero Contour" that should deliver the Berger 180-195 Elite pills. Bryan Litz has a study in Volume II of his book that looks @ Carbon wrapped barrels vs other barrel contours & am reading it now.
Does anyone have any experience with the Carbon wrapped barrels & can help me understand "Barrel Contours" for accuracy in "Hunting" application. Don't mind spend the additional cost for "Carbon" barrel if its money well spent.
Thanks again for all the valued input

You should not regret getting that 1:8.27" twist Proof barrel...But that also depends on what you are wanting the rifle for. Some prefer heavier, some lighter, some prefer all-steel barrels, some like the CF-wrapped barrels.

Barrel contour is relative to the barrel's stiffness/rigidity, which relates to the harmonics of the barrel. Harmonics are what affects accuracy. When people talk about finding a "good node", they are talking about finding a good harmonic node in their barrel that allows consistent and repeatable accuracy. The thinner the barrel contour, the more "whip" the barrel produces as the bullet travels down the bore, which gives the barrel a very narrow harmonic node for accuracy. The thicker the barrel, the less susceptible to "whip" the barrel becomes thanks to the extra material on the outsides of the bore keeping the barrel from vibrating ("whipping") as much. The heavier the contour of the barrel, the wider the harmonic node. This means it will generally be more accurate and less picky allowing you to use a wider variety of bullet brands, weights, shapes, and powders and powder charges. Thinner contour barrels tend to be very finicky and it can sometimes be tough to find more than just 1, maybe 2, loads that it shoots really accurately, and repeatably.

Carbon fiber wrapped barrels are popular because they offer the rigidity and repeatability of a full-bull steel heavy barrel, with the light weight of a magnum sporter contour barrel. So, for packing and hiking you get an accurate long range and accurate rig, that weighs as much as your typical sporter-weight rifle. The carbon fiber also helps dissipate heat quicker than a solid steel barrel. The only crux, is that because of their niche' design and the expensive components used to build them, they tend to cost about twice as much as a standard 416R stainless barrel blank.

you can do your own rebarrel with remage and you will be happy, about 30 minutes or 1 hour and your good to go, Bugholes has a system with premium barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.