Help rebuild mark v 300 whby

mreed

I have a 1995 300 mk v wby it groups 6 to 10 shots well, then they start moving all over the place. Had it looked at with a bore scope copper fouling even after extream cleaning 5 inches in. Is this action worth the costs of rebarreling and a new stock. Any ideas.

Last edited:
The Mark V is a pretty good action, I'm not a fan of the bolt lugs but it's a good beefy action. If your getting bad copper fouling the bore might have a rough spot. If the barrel wasn't broken in properly when it was first fired you could have been layering copper over copper and it will be hard to remove.
Since your getting good groups up to 10 shots it seems that the gun likes to shoot clean but is fouling up quickly.
Try running a few Patches of Butch's Bore Shine followd by a good brushing of Butch's. Patch out. Then with a clean bronze bristle brush scrub with Sweets. Put more Sweets on your brush every other time you poke it out the muzzle. Make sure you use plenty of Sweets and get the bore covered well. Let it soak for 15 minutes. Use a patch soaked in Hydrogen peroxide. Push through bore slowly. Run another patch of Hydrogen peroxide. Patch out with clean patches. Clean the chamber and run a few more clean patches through the bore. Since it sounds like you have access to a bore scope check out the bore and see if you got all the copper removed. If not repeat the Sweets process again.
This is my formula for removing the copper when breaking a barrel in and for older neglected barrels that have stubborn copper. It may take you a few cleanings but it will come out.
Check the bore really well with the bore scope for any cuts, gouges scratches or any imperfections. If it's a factory barrel it won't look like a custom one inside but if you know what your looking at you should be able to spot any problems.

After cleaning looked at lands beleive they are damaged at point of fouling. I have taken mule deer, white tail, elk, and a 7 foot black bear with this gun . Do you think this action is worth the cost of new barrel & stock.

Ya its worth it, especailly if you already have it. Atleast I thought it was!:D
DSC_0345.jpg

I would not go buy one just to rebarrel it though. There are better options for the cost.

I have a 1995 300 mk v whby it groups 6 to 10 shots well, then they start moving all over the place. Had it looked at with a bore scope copper fouling even after extream cleaning 5 inches in. Is this action worth the costs of rebarreling and a new stock. Any ideas.

Try cleaning like Kevin recomended first, Then once you get it bare metal clean do a shoot
1 shot and clean breakin for 10 rounds then only shoot 5 rounds before cleaning from then
on.

If this doesent fix it then get it rebarreled using a good stainless laped barrel like the Lilja.

Get the same contour with out flutes ( It will be a little stiffer and little or no stock work will
be necessary).

These are great actions and for about the cost of a winchester or a remingtion you can
have a custom rifle .

J E CUSTOM

Funny how everyone talks about the expence of a Wby action and yet I can find them all day for as cheap or as close to a Rem700 thats its of no difference. Your limited on stocks and parts and wbys are heavy but at the same time IMO rem has lost their mind on their new prices. They used to be great for the money but now you can build off most anything for what Rem has went to with their prices. A side note, another reason most smiths don't do Weatherby is lack of experience, everyone learns on guess what, a REM700, its popular and cheap(or used to be), can u also guess where the most money is made with the least amount of time. A rem can make a bad smith look pretty good and this is from 3 of the top and I mean literally top smiths in the country. So what I am saying is if you want to rebarrel your(wby) its as fine an action as anything as long as your ok with the limitations and I am not even a wby guy. They are one of the finer actions imo. All modern actions work well within their limits. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.