Help please think I'm doing this wrong

Sinclair makes a guage insert that is more accurately sized to fit your hornady/stoney point unit. You will get way longer measurements that may seem out of the ordinary when using that insert.

I don't have any 230 OTM but when I measure a 210VLDH bullet base to ogive with my Sinclair I get .680 with the insert that came with the guage I get .785 and mine are .299 for the hornady and .307 for the Sinclair.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

This is a common issue with gauge tools. Just like bullets there are manufacturing tolerances with gauges too.

I have several of the Hornady inserts in duplicate calibers because I use them to measure bearing length and sort bullets. When doing this you will quickly learn that all 8-30 cal inserts are not the same! Not bashing the Sinclair stuff here cause they probably have tighter tolerances than the Hornady stuff. But what I am getting at is that your inserts will probably not read the same as the inserts of the custom ammo manufacturing uses. So, if you specify xxx COAL length, don't be surprised if they come back xxx-/+2 or so from the ammo maker.

I keep my Hornady inserts sorted and marked so that I know I am using the same insert to check COAL after seating bullets. A lot of accurate hand loading comes from using the same gauges for reference each time. It's not so important that this gauges says this and that one says that. It is important that you use the same gauge each time for consistent reference.

Maybe not, load some to maximum magazine length and try them. Also, the other Berger 230 gr bullet has a .100" shorter nose and still has a BC of over .700.

Yeah the 230 grain tactical is what I'm using and it is shorter than the other 230 grain target it may work

This is a common issue with gauge tools. Just like bullets there are manufacturing tolerances with gauges too.

I have several of the Hornady inserts in duplicate calibers because I use them to measure bearing length and sort bullets. When doing this you will quickly learn that all 8-30 cal inserts are not the same! Not bashing the Sinclair stuff here cause they probably have tighter tolerances than the Hornady stuff. But what I am getting at is that your inserts will probably not read the same as the inserts of the custom ammo manufacturing uses. So, if you specify xxx COAL length, don't be surprised if they come back xxx-/+2 or so from the ammo maker.

I keep my Hornady inserts sorted and marked so that I know I am using the same insert to check COAL after seating bullets. A lot of accurate hand loading comes from using the same gauges for reference each time. It's not so important that this gauges says this and that one says that. It is important that you use the same gauge each time for consistent reference.
That's what I was thinking same gauges every time to stay the same . Thanks

Welcome to the Ultra Mag single shot club...:D

I have a 300 Rum and my good loaded round COAL is something like 3.798. Single feeding until I get my mag box and action done up or will go back to the 210's. You can eat the 230's at mag length and they will shoot ok. I am still checking this out . Last time out shooting I shot a group at mag length with a reduced powder charge and they gouped slightly above moa at 200. not great but possibally something to work off of

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.