Help picking the wife’s new elk rig

Not a darn thing wrong with the 6.5 PRC, energy smenergy....who gives a flock about energy!! (within reason)

How many elk has she taken, and does she hunt elk yearly. On her own or outfitted?

Honestly you've a great round for elk!

Couple friends have picked up lightweight Savages with wrapped barrels, they'd most likely make weight and shoot balls out!

Don't over think this, killing elk is hardly the rocket science that people try so darn hard to make it...

Side note, the 7 Rem is about as good as they come for elk. The 120 TTSX and R22 or the 150 NBT and R26 are both fantastic elk killing machines

My wife is currently shooting a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. It's a fine gun, but a little heavy and I think the 6.5 PRC is a little on the weak side for elk. It's a fine cartridge, but I find myself pushing it really hard to get to the energy levels that I think (which maybe isn't true) are necessary.

My wife isn't particularly recoil sensitive, but no one likes getting beat up behind the trigger. For reference, she shoots my suppressed Fierce .28 Nosler and Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 without issue.

So she's in the market for a lighter rifle, that has just a little more horsepower. She always picks the rifle and I always pick the cartridge. She likes the traditional stock of her CA, so the new CA FFT is at the top of our list. We are leaning toward a shorter rifle suppressed with a K can for recoil mitigation. I'm thinking something in the 20-22 inch barrel with a 4-6 inch suppressor would be ideal.

Our price range is $2200 or less.

So here's the questions:
Which cartridge should I be looking at?

Currently kicking around the 7 RM, .280 AI, 7 SAUM and maybe the .300wsm. I'm leaning toward the 7 RM, because I can find loads toward the minimum powder charges that satisfy the power needs for elk out of a 20 inch barrel, but I have room to move up in power if necessary.

What other rifles should I have her try out? Keep in mind she likes a tradition stock and weight is crucial. She has tried Kimbers but the trigger is to long of a reach for her hands. She's not fond of Tikkas or Brownings.

Thanks in advance!

Can't offer any suggestions! Most wives would "not" appreciate what my wife hunts with…..though, it's been pretty effective on everything she's taken from Pronghorn to Moose!

Whatever you select…..I wish her much success! memtb

Not a darn thing wrong with the 6.5 PRC, energy smenergy....who gives a flock about energy!! (within reason)

How many elk has she taken, and does she hunt elk yearly. On her own or outfitted?

Honestly you've a great round for elk!

Couple friends have picked up lightweight Savages with wrapped barrels, they'd most likely make weight and shoot balls out!

Don't over think this, killing elk is hardly the rocket science that people try so darn hard to make it...
She's getting a new boom stick no matter what. She needs something lighter. We are just looking at other cartridges while we switch guns.

We hunt elk every year, unguided.

Can't offer any suggestions! Most wives would "not" appreciate what my wife hunts with…..though, it's been pretty effective on everything she's taken from Pronghorn to Moose!

Whatever you select…..I wish her much success! memtb
Well what does she shoot, I'm dying here in suspense

LOL! Stay on your course. This is why "I" never ask what rifle to build or buy. 🤣

You have to love the ones with a OP topic like "Need a load for 6.5prc with 156 Bergers"

Then you get responses like

"My 6.5-284 Shoots 140's with.........."
"My 6.5CM loves 124 Hunter Hammers with........."

Then you get:

"My 300 Norma Mag Improved shoots 245 Bergers into .16" at 200 yards"
"My Winchester 30-30 loves 150 sierras"

I be like "Whaaaaaat"

And naturally sooner or later someone will chime in with the good old "I shot a (name your number on score) bull with the bullet. Like the score of a critter has anything to do with how a bullet performs:)