help pick a 6.5

If you are going 260, do a 260AI: "my velocity avg is 2920"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciMrgy-v90A]260 Ackley Improved for Benchrest - YouTube[/ame]

yes, Berger 140 VLDs with a 20 thou jam. He said what bullet at 0:50 into the video. H4831SC powder.

The 6.5x284 will last nearly as long as a 260, 260AI, or Creedmore if they are all treated equal, keep them clean, don't shoot it like its an AR15, with average practice, hunting, powder choices and good cleaning methods the 6.5x284 CAN go over 2000 rounds, its no worse than a 25-06 or 7stw, which are known to go over 1500 with proper care, it also has only a slight accuracy advantage, maybe not even noticable depending on the components used, but the velocity difference is 200-300fps faster, instead of 100-150. The 260 is great for practice, just doesn't have a big enough set! Same goes for the creedmore, plus horrible hornady brass unless you form it out of 22-250 lapua cases. The 6.5x47 obviously has good brass, and with its design and small primer pockets, it has the ability to be the most accurate, but again doesn't do well with pills over 130grn. Just my thoughts, you know what they say about opinions!

Go easy on me Guys , this is my first post on LRH . JD . I am in the process of building a .260Rem on a Pierce Rem700 clone receiver at the moment, I decided on the .260 for several reasons , not least of which is the ease of necking .243 brass to 6.5.
Creedmoor & Grendel brass is scarse and expensive here and I discounted the 6.5 x .284 for one reason only , notorious barrel burner.
I am not concerned by the fact that the 6.5 x .284 has more horsepower than any other 6.5mm round , I strive for accuarcy over velocity.That is not to say the 6.5 x .284 is not accurate , we all know it is. Also consider that a barrel fitted down here can run you out to $700.00 and guys I know, that shoot 6.5 x .284 rarely get much beyond 1200 accurate rounds out of a 6.5 x .284 , it gets a bit expensive. A problem, from a cost perspective you are not likely to encounter in the US perhaps. I cry tears of blood when I see the cost of nice kit you guys have access to !!!!!!
FYI , an Orange Box of Berger 6.5/140 grain hunting projectiles is $80.00/100 here.

regards
Mike.
p.s any .260 owners using VihtaVouri Powder ??

Mike, welcome to LRH. I'm rather surprised more shooters/hunters do not use the VV powders. I'm guessing it is the expense. I keep some handy. It is the cleanest burning powder I've found, and it does not produce the velocity that other powders produce in general but it is accurate.

I found quite a few pounds about 10 years ago heavily discounted at a show. I bought it all, and use it to do break in since it burns so clean. I've found some good loads with it and have used it for hunting as well.

But around here that powder costs so much that I won't buy anymore after my supply is gone.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to go with a 6.5x284 i think. Barrel life isn't a big concern with me. As long as it is accurate. rebarreling at 800 or 1000 rounds is ok because i can do it myself. the 6.5x47L is interesting but i don't think it has the down range power I will need. the 260 seems about the same accuracy wise, more barrel life and a bit less velocity. but like i said, if accuracy is the same ill sacrifice the barrel life.

In regards to forming .260 brass Lapua has answered our prays and as far as powders go you'll find it had to beat ADI Aussie made stuff which also supplies Hodgon powders USA.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to go with a 6.5x284 i think. Barrel life isn't a big concern with me. As long as it is accurate. rebarreling at 800 or 1000 rounds is ok because i can do it myself. the 6.5x47L is interesting but i don't think it has the down range power I will need. the 260 seems about the same accuracy wise, more barrel life and a bit less velocity. but like i said, if accuracy is the same ill sacrifice the barrel life.

You won't be sorry. Heck, by 2 barrels, from 2 different makers, say one cut rifle, one button. Do the 6.5x284! I think I'm going to order a Hart or Broughton 5R since I have a cut rifle Bartlein on mine now in 5R or 5C whatever their designation is. If I can get an Obermeyer I would.

I have a boat load of Berger 140 VLDs to try and JLKs in 140 also.

Derek , thanks for the welcome , I stumbled upon LRH quite by accident whilst researching VV powder and am pleased that I did. A lot of good info here.
As far as VV powder goes , it is on a par with the cost of ADI powders here . I bought 4 lbs of N560 @ $41.50/lb which I intend to use for the 140 grain projectiles.

I don't know of any BR shooters here not using VV but , I have been advised to approach MAX charge weights with caution particularly with the N500 series double base powder. Apparently , one only needs to exceed the MAX buy a 'freckle' to observe a pressure increase , which can be quite dramatic.

Are there any 6.5 shooters that have used the Hornady V MAX 95 grain projectile in 1:8 twist barrel ? I picked some up cheap but I am wondering if the 1:8 might be a bit too quick.

regards
Mike.

jdwelch, I meant "buy" not "by" 2 barrels.

Mike, I've been using VV powders since 1989. I've not encountered any spike in pressure with a freckle more powder. But I'm not shooting small capacity calibers either like the 6BR. I'm glad I don't have to pay the prices you do!

I think VV around here is in the 30.00 range + per pound. I've got the 160, 165 and 560.

I find it interesting how many if not most competition shooters here in the U.S. prefer Hodgdon, IMR, or Alliant powders where European and elsewhere, seem to really like the VV.

I don't hear much about MRP powder anymore.

Derek , we down here are pretty much resigned to the fact that all our shooting products are imported and we are not , as a result , as parochial as US shooters , we use pretty much anything that is available . I for one would be only too happy to support locally made equipment and components but sadly , any local made stuff usually goes under. The population base here is the major culprit , consider , there are more people in California than the entire population of Australia and we suffer from the ' grass is always greener ' syndrome ! ADI powder was once called MULWEX , but our Federal Government sold it off and is now Thales , a french company.

The .260 Rem I am building at present, for example , all of the hardware originates from the US with the exception of the barrel.
Not possible to walk into a gunstore and buy over the counter a REM 700 SA magazine box or spare spring , I have to import.

BTW , Boyds Gunstocks , I had a Laminate T'hole Varmint stock here is 8 days , total cost $158.00 AUD , and I can't fault it , kudos to Boyds.

regards
Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.