Help opening safe?

stazmania

Old costco cannon executive vault safe with jammed lock. A little history, it's old 10 maybe 15 years. When I bought it within a week the key pad would not unlock it, Cannon had a tech come out and change the key pad from a 1 nine volt standard pad to a 2 battery s&g key pad and it worked fine. One day I was leaving home and open the safe to put something in before leaving It was actually stiff and a hard to turn the latch when I opened it, I should have known better but it was stiff to close and I was in a hurry so I forced It close. The key pad will not actuate the lock inside even with fresh batteries and initially got hot when I entered the combo. Nothing i have tried has opened it, Cannon sent me a new key pad but it is the old single battery that originally failed. Local lock and key guys are eager to take a crack at it but when press easily admit they may have to cut it open or it will cost an arm and a leg. Anything/suggestions to try before I cut a hole in the side take out all the guns remove the inside door panel, open the door and repair the safe. Thanks for any help. I am sure with all the budget safes out there someone has had this problem.

The door has no binding or pressure you can easily move/rattle it in and out. A local gun store safe dealer owner told me there is a good chance that a bar/rod in the locking system bent, and is causing the problem binding the lock inside.

Wish you the best! Safes are mechanical, they kind of always gives me that, what if moment, when closing and opening them.
Took the panel off of the inside of one of mine to put longer bolts to mount things on the inside of door and was intriguing as to how it actually functioned. From what I saw good possibility he is right. Maybe a stud scanner or instrument like it may give you an idea where it may be located.
In mine one over center cam pretty much was central to it all.

This could be a long shot hairbrain idea,
But try either extreme cold or hot temperature. It could cause just enough shrinkage to allow it to open. Haul it outside if you live where it's freezing outside. Otherwise plug in a window AC unit pointed at it. 🤷

Bet you got a shoulder strap stuck in it or something similar. This is causing it to malfunction and is caught between closed and open. Try closing the handle as hard as you can and maybe that will reset up your locking system.

200w (14).gif