Help needed with load development

I think that plan completely deviates from the solicited advice. As stated, start .020 off of the lands and work back in .005 increments. Using a bigger gap could very possibly miss your accuracy node altogether. Load development at 300 yards is also bringing other factors into the equation that could cause a misdiagnosis of the accuracy node. Just my 2c. Check out Eric Cortina on YouTube, he offers excellent advice on this subject and he shoots berger bullets almost exclusively.

What Berger bullets are you shooting? The vlds a good test fo a hunting rifle is load six at .010, six at .050, six at .090 and six at .130 off. Do two threes shot groups if one shoots not good at all I don't reshoot it if i pull i shot or it shoots good I will reshoot it l. I have always found a seating depth that is way better then the other 3 doing this. Do this at a starting charge find the most accurate depth here then work up a powder charge. If looking for more accuracy you can play with .005 increments if you want to play more. That's been my experience that Berger recommends to do for there bullets. Has worked for me with 140 hybrids too in my 6.5, did it with my 7mag with 180s too.

I think that plan completely deviates from the solicited advice. As stated, start .020 off of the lands and work back in .005 increments. Using a bigger gap could very possibly miss your accuracy node altogether. Load development at 300 yards is also bringing other factors into the equation that could cause a misdiagnosis of the accuracy node. Just my 2c. Check out Eric Cortina on YouTube, he offers excellent advice on this subject and he shoots berger bullets almost exclusively.
[/QUO

Sorry if any confusoin - I am not doing any load devleopment, but a seating depth test. Berger advised going .010 INTO the lands, then .040, .080 finish at .120, and finally +/- ..002-.005 to refine. I am not feel comfortable into the lands, so that is why I picked .20 to start, .005-.010 as an alternate. I have viewed Cortina's video, but, again, into the lands is not where I want to start.

I did not suggest starting out with your testing by shooting bullets seated into the lands, I don't think anyone did. The advice was to start .020 off of, or back from, the lands. Then to shoot groups in increments of .005 moving further back from the lands. This would allow you to zero in on your accuracy node. Just wanted to point that out. Seems you have settled on how you want to do it, so, good to go.

Jud give you some sound advice, I don't care what E.S and S.D is target is the #1 determining factor.
I wouldnt trust any load at 100 if you plan on shooting 500 and beyond, test at longest distance you can with no wind influence if possible.

Last edited:
I did not suggest starting out with your testing by shooting bullets seated into the lands, I don't think anyone did. The advice was to start .020 off of, or back from, the lands. Then to shoot groups in increments of .005 moving further back from the lands. This would allow you to zero in on your accuracy node. Just wanted to point that out. Seems you have settled on how you want to do it, so, good to go.
Starting .010 into lands came from a Berger write up on a seating depth test article relating to VLD bullets.

You can do as you want, but let me just talk for a second. A lot of people reference that Berger recommendation and a lot of people have tried it. What I'm saying and others are saying is, you're jumping over the potential sweet spot for the bullet you want to shoot by moving in 0.040 increments. That's huge in seating depth. I don't like wasting bullets, powder, time, and barrel life to chase my tail with inconclusive results. I don't think many people enjoy that. I love to shoot but I love results and I love learning while I do it.

Having said that, I like using methods that deliver results and give me the results I want and results I can trust and reference. If you are serious and want to find the best results in the least amount of time, then start .020 off the lands and work back in .005 increments until you find a seating depth node. You're going to shoot 20-50 bullets doing this. The fact is, you're going to shoot 20 bullets doing Berger's recommendation and you're more likely going to be more frustrated after that test than with what I and others have recommended. If the Berger test is inconclusive than you have to start over or try and pick a seating depth and work around it. I can almost guarantee you'll find good groups with one or multiple of the seating depth jumps that you test with the method I suggested. Then when you are done you have definitive results and a bullet jump to work with. I don't like repeating myself or getting lost in the middle of something. You have to sacrifice some more time and bullets initially, but if done right, you'll come out with good results and a path to follow. Again, do as you want, myself and others are just trying to help so you get the results you're looking for.

You can do as you want, but let me just talk for a second. A lot of people reference that Berger recommendation and a lot of people have tried it. What I'm saying and others are saying is, you're jumping over the potential sweet spot for the bullet you want to shoot by moving in 0.040 increments. That's huge in seating depth. I don't like wasting bullets, powder, time, and barrel life to chase my tail with inconclusive results. I don't think many people enjoy that. I love to shoot but I love results and I love learning while I do it.

Having said that, I like using methods that deliver results and give me the results I want and results I can trust and reference. If you are serious and want to find the best results in the least amount of time, then start .020 off the lands and work back in .005 increments until you find a seating depth node. You're going to shoot 20-50 bullets doing this. The fact is, you're going to shoot 20 bullets doing Berger's recommendation and you're more likely going to be more frustrated after that test than with what I and others have recommended. If the Berger test is inconclusive than you have to start over or try and pick a seating depth and work around it. I can almost guarantee you'll find good groups with one or multiple of the seating depth jumps that you test with the method I suggested. Then when you are done you have definitive results and a bullet jump to work with. I don't like repeating myself or getting lost in the middle of something. You have to sacrifice some more time and bullets initially, but if done right, you'll come out with good results and a path to follow. Again, do as you want, myself and others are just trying to help so you get the results you're looking for.
THANKS!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.