Advice Needed, Load Development

I disagree with H1000 being too slow. It is my go-to in my 7RM.
180 Hyb @ 2996fps from a 26". It has killed many an elk for us.
I've heard this from many other people too, so that's why I was so surprised by my results. I know some guns can be picky about bullet/powder combos so I am not opposed to trying something different but I really expected better from the H1000.

I've heard this from many other people too, so that's why I was so surprised by my results. I know some guns can be picky about bullet/powder combos so I am not opposed to trying something different but I really expected better from the H1000.
Keep going.
Also, virgin brass? You should see gains with once fired brass too, because virgin brass is usually REALLY short on headspace, like .014" to .019", and blowing that amount of shoulder forward takes a lot of energy.

^^^

It is ok to work up with virgin cases, especially in this day and age of unreasonably challenging component shortages...

Just know it will change. Once you get your cases fired, work up one bullet/grain increments until you find pressure. Then back off and start. I think you are waaaay low on velocity for H1000.

I use N570 in my 7mag with the heavies and Rl23. H1000 is right in the middle.

Keep going.
Also, virgin brass? You should see gains with once fired brass too, because virgin brass is usually REALLY short on headspace, like .014" to .019", and blowing that amount of shoulder forward takes a lot of energy.
Yes it was virgin ADG brass. Just measured 25 pieces of new brass compared to fire formed brass and they were .013"-.015" shorter using Mitutoyo calipers and Hornady headspace comparator.

^^^

It is ok to work up with virgin cases, especially in this day and age of unreasonably challenging component shortages...

Just know it will change. Once you get your cases fired, work up one bullet/grain increments until you find pressure. Then back off and start. I think you are waaaay low on velocity for H1000.

I use N570 in my 7mag with the heavies and Rl23. H1000 is right in the middle.
Going off the Berger book, which I know may be conservative, Max Load of 66.0gr should give me ~2830fps with the 180gr VLD Hunting bullets. So I don't think I am way low when I am averaging 2840fps at 66.0gr my first outing and then 2791fps at 66.0gr my second outing. The max velocity I logged on that second outing at 66.0gr was 2824 and I had a low of 2770.

Out of curiosity, what kind of velocities are you getting and with which bullet?

So I cheated. I ran a unithroater to give me more freebore to be able to load longer.

177 Hammer Hunter with N570 2948 FPS
177 Hammer Hunter with Rl26 3070 FPS
190 LRHT with N570 2835 FPS
190 LRHT with H1000 2912 FPS
Peterson cases

Last edited:
Going off the Berger book, which I know may be conservative, Max Load of 66.0gr should give me ~2830fps with the 180gr VLD Hunting bullets. So I don't think I am way low when I am averaging 2840fps at 66.0gr my first outing and then 2791fps at 66.0gr my second outing. The max velocity I logged on that second outing at 66.0gr was 2824 and I had a low of 2770.

Out of curiosity, what kind of velocities are you getting and with which bullet?
1927EA3F-15EE-461C-91BD-21957056089C.jpeg

74 grains of H-1000

Best ES/SD was 48/17.3 and 44/19.2 over 66.9gr and 65.7gr of H1000 respectively.
Is that your best stats ever? Or just with this load?

I mean best ever-ever. Like have you ever shot a 3-shot 1SD/1ES, or a 3-shot 5SD/15ES?

I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge how accurate the rest of what you're doing is. I saw the Chargemaster+balance bit for charge weighing, but if 17.3SD/43ES is the best you've ever done, either you have a serious issue with your charges, or these loads in virgin brass is your first time taking stats.

If it's your first time recording this that's fine, just don't do it to yourself again until you've shot the cases, not worth the angst.

If you're really seeing that large of variation over 5 shots, there's something else going on here because it's just not that hard to get close enough charges to not see 50+ ES, and you're on the edge of that.

Have you tried Retumbo? My buddy is running the same bullet in ADG brass with CCI 250s in his RBros 7mag and getting 3060fps and ES of 10 for 5 shots.

Have you tried Retumbo? My buddy is running the same bullet in ADG brass with CCI 250s in his RBros 7mag and getting 3060fps and ES of 10 for 5 shots.
I haven't tried anything but H1000 so far. I had great results in my 300WM with it and heard many others use it extensively in the 7mag so I figured I would start there since I have quite a bit of it. I am going to try some H4831SC since I have a pound of that and am going to see if I can find some Reloader 25 also but I was also looking at Retumbo.

I haven't tried anything but H1000 so far. I had great results in my 300WM with it and heard many others use it extensively in the 7mag so I figured I would start there since I have quite a bit of it. I am going to try some H4831SC since I have a pound of that and am going to see if I can find some Reloader 25 also but I was also looking at Retumbo.
If you stumble upon some do not overlook good old imr7828ssc either

Is that your best stats ever? Or just with this load?

I mean best ever-ever. Like have you ever shot a 3-shot 1SD/1ES, or a 3-shot 5SD/15ES?

I'm asking because I'm trying to gauge how accurate the rest of what you're doing is. I saw the Chargemaster+balance bit for charge weighing, but if 17.3SD/43ES is the best you've ever done, either you have a serious issue with your charges, or these loads in virgin brass is your first time taking stats.

If it's your first time recording this that's fine, just don't do it to yourself again until you've shot the cases, not worth the angst.

If you're really seeing that large of variation over 5 shots, there's something else going on here because it's just not that hard to get close enough charges to not see 50+ ES, and you're on the edge of that.
Those were my best stats ever with all the loads I have tried with this gun. Everything I have recorded has been in virgin ADG brass so far with this gun. My best ever-ever was with my 6.5CM Alamo Precision built me. It was a 5 shot group 2.2SD/6.0ES. I have also shot 4.1SD/9.0ES and 4.2SD/11.0ES with the same gun in 5 shot groups. My "bad" results with the 6.5CM were 10.1SD/23ES and 12.3SD/33ES in 5 shot groups with virgin Lapua brass when I initially began working up a load.

With my Christensen Ridgeline 300WM and H1000 the load I settled on shoots a 6.6SD/15ES in a 5 shot group. When I started load development on this gun, with virgin ADG brass, I did not see these poor of results like I am getting with the 7mag. I was getting results like 13.2SD/29ES and 16.3SD/37ES.

So in my original post when I said I felt pretty good about my reloading process, these were the results I was using to justify that.