338 Lapua Load Development Advice

dawg4life

Here are the options I have to begin load development for my new to me Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua, Vortex 6-24x50 ffp. My use for this gun will be long range steel shooting for fun and long range hunting on larger game no bigger than elk

These are available:

Primers: Federal 215
Brass: Norma unfired 338 Lapua
Bullets:
1. Barnes LRX BT 280gr
2. Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail Match 300gr
3. Berger Elite Hunter 300gr
4. I can also get any other bullets that are in stock at midway or etc. but these 3 are available locally.
Powder:
1. Imr-4350
2. Imr-7828
3. Imr-7828 SSC
4. H4831 SC
5. Retumbo

I'm just looking for a starting point I realize most of it depends on other things and my gun may not like what others do and I can work on things such as charge weight, seating depth, etc.

I have been shooting the Lapua for 5 years now
AR 30 and Rem 700

My favorite load

91.0of H1000 (my favorite is 91.5 at 2800 FPS) But excellent accuracy at 91.0.
300 gr Berger hunting and OTM ( best BC of all the Bullets)
WLRM
Lapua Brass

COAL at 3.680"
2783 FPS in 26"
In the beginning I had a lot problems with brass I was using Hornady Brass and it would expand in the chamber during firing and had to use a rod to tap it out.
Switched to Lapua brass........never had a problem since.

Suggest powders with 250 grain bullets ......Reloader 26 and H1000
300 grain bullets........Reloader 33 and H1000

Really like H1000 in the 338 Lapua and 338 Rum
Military loads by Black Hills loads 250 Sierra MK at 3000 FPS and 300MK at 2800 FPS.......so I don't load anything faster than 2800 FPS with 300gr to preserve throat life on barrel.

Appriciate the advice! I sure wish I could find some h1000 but doesn't look like it's going to happen. What is the optimal bullet weight for the lapua? I've read that if you want to shoot the extended range the 300 grain bullet really shine. Would a Sierra matchking be a acceptible hunting bullet?

Sierra's have put plenty of animals on the ground. I have a load with h-1000 and 300gr SMKs that shoots great, that I'll be using in a few weeks when I return to my place to hunt aoudad.

Here are the options I have to begin load development for my new to me Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua, Vortex 6-24x50 ffp. My use for this gun will be long range steel shooting for fun and long range hunting on larger game no bigger than elk

These are available:

Primers: Federal 215
Brass: Norma unfired 338 Lapua
Bullets:
1. Barnes LRX BT 280gr
2. Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail Match 300gr
3. Berger Elite Hunter 300gr
4. I can also get any other bullets that are in stock at midway or etc. but these 3 are available locally.
Powder:
1. Imr-4350
2. Imr-7828
3. Imr-7828 SSC
4. H4831 SC
5. Retumbo

I'm just looking for a starting point I realize most of it depends on other things and my gun may not like what others do and I can work on things such as charge weight, seating depth, etc.
dawg4life,
Go to the BERGER BULLET website and click on the RELOADING tab on our main page. Scroll down below the Berger manual information. In red you will see .338 cartridges listed. Click on .338 LAPUA. this will take you to a page with the cartridge dimensions and under that you will see 250 &300. Click on the bullet weight you need and the reloading information will be there. All the load information will be based on the COAL listed with load data. Start at .015 off the lands and work back in .005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once you have found your seating depth accuracy node. Work the load back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy as you increase the powder charge to find your velocity accuracy node. If you have any questions please contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care!

dawg4life,
Go to the BERGER BULLET website and click on the RELOADING tab on our main page. Scroll down below the Berger manual information. In red you will see .338 cartridges listed. Click on .338 LAPUA. this will take you to a page with the cartridge dimensions and under that you will see 250 &300. Click on the bullet weight you need and the reloading information will be there. All the load information will be based on the COAL listed with load data. Start at .015 off the lands and work back in .005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. Once you have found your seating depth accuracy node. Work the load back up slowly checking for pressure signs and accuracy as you increase the powder charge to find your velocity accuracy node. If you have any questions please contact us here or at [email protected]
Take care!

Sounds like a good way to test out some bergers. Of all the bullets I do like the bergers the best just from looking at them.

Excessive meat damage with Sierra Matchking in Lapua

The 300 Accubond and 250 Accubond should perform very well on game.

Barnes LRX 280 very good

Berger 300gr Elite hunter ......very good long range

Optimum bullet weight .......depends on the range of the game .....past 1k yards the 300 gr is best.......under 1k the 250 will do just fine

My favorite is Berger 300gr Elite Hunting bullet..........sure shoots flat at 2800 fps

If you hit them through the shoulders I would agree with this statement. But so will the Bergers, and from what I've seen probably more so. I have shot the 300 grain matchkings almost exclusively in my .338 Edge for many years. They do a great job on game out to some really long ranges when pushed at Lapua/Edge/RUM speeds.
I've shot deer from under 100 yards to out past 1400 without failure. I usually try to take out at least one shoulder to make sure they don't go far at all (usually go straight down). From my experience if you hit shoulder then you will get meat damage, and some people frown upon that. I don't care if I loose a little meat, it's better then not getting any at all (that was referring to having what was probably the biggest whitetail of my life stolen on public land after shooting it behind the shoulder and allowing it to run off a couple hundred yards).

My first choice would be the 300 Bergers due to the higher BC, but my .338 Edge doesn't like them nearly as much as the Sierras. I just got a .338 RUM for a lighter carry gun and am trying the 300 MK's at magazine length, because that's what I have on hand. So far it doesn't seem to like them, I'm thinking about trying the 250 Bergers and Accubonds as I don't see this being a thousand + yard gun, and as stated earlier, think the 250's would do fine under a grand.

The 300 Accubond and 250 Accubond should perform very well on game.

Barnes LRX 280 very good

Berger 300gr Elite hunter ......very good long range

Optimum bullet weight .......depends on the range of the game .....past 1k yards the 300 gr is best.......under 1k the 250 will do just fine

My favorite is Berger 300gr Elite Hunting bullet..........sure shoots flat at 2800 fps

What charge are you using to get those to 2800fps

92 grains Retumbo
CCI250
Lapua brass
Berger tactical 300 grain

Shot great even with virgin brass.

No shoulder shot on any game that goes to the table fare.

I reserve the shoulder shots for dangerous game only.......

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.