Help me with parallax error

emp1953

I discovered the problems that parallax can have on shot placement. My first question is parallax error repeatable? I have a Nikon Monarch 3x15 30mm tube with parallax adjustment. I am told that parallax is set at the factory at max magnification. Mine came pre set to 100yds and I was happy with that. First time shooting with it I set magnification to 6x and zeroed. On a recent hunt I cranked up to 15x to help count points. Shot low, missed a nice buck. Is it predictable? Can I determine at the range how much the shot changes over the range of power settings and bank on those POI changes every time? Will parallax error always cause a "low" POI or could it be all over the place. Or should I just invest in a First Focal Plane scope.

Parallax adjustment is set to the yardage mark where the target is at, by you. The marking may not be the perfect setting. Minor adjustment may be needed to make the target clear/sharp.

Bullet point of impack should never change when going from low to high power.
Thank You

Parallax is to help make the target "Clearer/in Focus" at a specific range. It should have no effect on POI from where your rifle is sighted in. If you are sighted in at 100yds and you target is 435yds and you set your Parallax for that yardage for focus and change the Scope magnification then you have to make adjustments for your reticle (elevation/windage) for the bullet/load at that yardage.
I have heard that some inexpensive scopes will have a POI change with changing the power on the scope. Never experienced something like that myself.

What does parallax look like in scope?
Parallax occurs when the target and reticle are on different planes within the scope. It is detectable when you move your head or eye around while looking through the scope, and the reticle appears to move or swim around the object at which you are aiming.

Quote from google covers it. . I lazy. :)

I discovered the problems that parallax can have on shot placement. My first question is parallax error repeatable? I have a Nikon Monarch 3x15 30mm tube with parallax adjustment. I am told that parallax is set at the factory at max magnification. Mine came pre set to 100yds and I was happy with that. First time shooting with it I set magnification to 6x and zeroed. On a recent hunt I cranked up to 15x to help count points. Shot low, missed a nice buck. Is it predictable? Can I determine at the range how much the shot changes over the range of power settings and bank on those POI changes every time? Will parallax error always cause a "low" POI or could it be all over the place. Or should I just invest in a First Focal Plane scope.

Recent Posts