Help me with my sheep rifle

On my 7mag build this year my smith went with a lilja #3 fluted. I could've gone with a #2 smooth or very light flutes.

I did a 24" barrel plus brake. McMillan game scout edge fill on a rem700. Iirc it finished at 6lb 14oz with talleys.

With the pound'r you'll shave some weight off that by a good margin. I haven't weighed my stock yet but I'm guessing it's 30ish ounces.

Keep in mind, if you go blind box you'll be saving a fair bit of weight as well.

For giggles, give the good old 150 NBT a go. Tough to find a better bullet for all around uses. Shoot them far or near it'll do you well.

My 270 Win in a REM 700 action with a MOD 70 safety and blind magazine with a 24" LILJA #2 (.58@muzzle) in a Brown Precision CF stock and Swaro Z3 3-9 and Talley mounts comes in at 7lb 4oz. At 60 years and hunting rugged up and down Coues country this is a very easy rifle to carry. My other 270 is a MOD 70 featherweight in a B&C stock, Talley mounts and 1" Ziess Counquest scope comes in at 8lb 4oz, not as nice as the other 270 but still not to bad to carry. My vote #3 Lilja at 23" and adjust weight with your scope choice. Anything under 8lbs will be manageable. BTW Rich Reiley at htcustoms.com built the lite weight rifle and it shoots into 2.5 inches at 300 yds with a compact 9X scope and Hornady Superformance. When Rich is not building rifle he has been known to guide sheep hunts uo north.

Attachments

• DC7E57E6-F024-43F0-9A1D-12CB8C1B0A0F.jpeg
    DC7E57E6-F024-43F0-9A1D-12CB8C1B0A0F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
Nice rifle driver , done a lot of research on LiLja last night , seems to me there's a lot more good out there than bad so that's the route I'm going ! Just don't know if I should go #2 or #3! Or maybe #3 fluted !

Nice rifle driver , done a lot of research on LiLja last night , seems to me there's a lot more good out there than bad so that's the route I'm going ! Just don't know if I should go #2 or #3! Or maybe #3 fluted !
The two Lilja barrels I have are very accurate and in the "Sendero" 270 I got .3 groups with out much workup.

Another vote here for the Lilja. I have a 7mm 08 with a #2 at 22" sitting in a McMillan ADL edge fill. It's a pleasure to carry. 7# with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18. It shoots pretty good out to 500. It's typically what I pack around hunting blacktail.
My other rifle is a 270 wsm with a 24" fluted #4 in a Bansner BDL stock. It's at 7.8# wearing a Swarovski Z5 5-25.
The 270 wsm shoots lights out. I almost always pack it for my hunts where longer shots are a possibility. It's a much easier gun to shoot accurately 300-700 yards. Both guns have their place. If I were to do a sheep hunt I would definitely be packing my WSM.

Thanks guys , sounds like some sweet rifles ! I do like the Swarovski z5 it's a nice scope so far it's served me well . Actually that scope convinced me to buy Swarovski binos ha ha , I'm going to order number 3 fluted in the morning I think that will give me the best of both worlds not to heavy but not so light it's hard to shoot ! Thanks for all the help fellas !

Thanks guys , sounds like some sweet rifles ! I do like the Swarovski z5 it's a nice scope so far it's served me well . Actually that scope convinced me to buy Swarovski binos ha ha , I'm going to order number 3 fluted in the morning I think that will give me the best of both worlds not to heavy but not so light it's hard to shoot ! Thanks for all the help fellas !
I think you will be really happy with a #3 fluted.

Thanks coues, next thing I gotta figure out is how many grooves , defiantly going for an 8 twist but do u got any recommendations on grooves, does it really matter ? I know I had a old lilja 3 groove on my old 30 06 it was pretty good !