Help me understand the importance of measuring velocity for reloading.

BirdDog50

I've been reloading for long range for a while and have a chronograph but don't use it very often. Help me understand importance of measuring velocity for reloading. Very interested in the new Garmin but that's a lot of bucks just to measure velocity. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Any intel would be appreciated.

You don't necessarily need to measure your velocity with a chrono, but it'll sure make your life easier. If you're just going off of book values, you're likely to see a difference in what the published velocity and true velocity is.

Once I have some good velocity readings (like 10+ rounds for an average velocity). I'll then take it out to 500 or 600 yards and see if there's any difference between the shooting solution and on target. If so, I'll true up the BC until things line up.

In my opinion, if shooting long range (and especially hunting long range), you need to know how your rounds will perform down range. Having an accurate muzzle velocity to begin with is a pretty important piece of the puzzle.

For what it's worth, I have the Garmin and its leaps and bounds easier and more convenient to use than the magnetospeed and Labradar I've used in the past. The garmin goes with me to the range every session.

Howdy, for years I never used a chronograph. All my shooting was under 250yds, so I really didn't need one.
I have a Sporter V3 now because I have been extending my distance out to 1000yds shooting target. With a ballistic app you need your velocity. So I guess if your not shooting long distance you don't need one.

I went for many years without owning a chronograph. I can't say I am putting more game in the freezer after getting one. I've gone down the path of upgrading so to speak. There was always something that made setup cumbersome and frustrating before I got the Garmin. The Garmin is a game changer for me. Measuring velocity is just a data point, but it really gives you confirmation during load development very quickly.

When I was shooting animals from 100 yars to 250 yards I never had or needed a chronograph but when I decided to shoot beyond those limits I needed more information and a chronograph gave me that information.
If and when you use a ballistic program you will have to input velocity.At 610 yards I hit right where I was supposed to because of more information.Going farther will require even more information.

Last edited:
I've done load dev with and without a chronograph. I've gotten good results both ways.

Having velocity data (especially extreme spread data) makes it easier I think, especially if shooting at long distances. Knowing my ES helps me know how much vertical dispersion I can expect to have on target, no matter how well I shoot the gun.

It's also helpful when initially conducting a ladder test (I do 1 shot per powder increment), to find the ballpark I want to be in, then refine from there. (Don't tell the guys at Hornady)

Once I'm finalizing a load, an ES of 30fps isn't awful, but I'm looking/ shooting for 20fps or less.

And yes, the Garmin is a game changer. As has been stated by others, if you've never owned a chronograph before, you shouldn't be able to just buy a Garmin. You should have to suffer with the old types like the rest of us did! 🤣

I've done load dev with and without a chronograph. I've gotten good results both ways.

Having velocity data (especially extreme spread data) makes it easier I think, especially if shooting at long distances. Knowing my ES helps me know how much vertical dispersion I can expect to have on target, no matter how well I shoot the gun.

It's also helpful when initially conducting a ladder test (I do 1 shot per powder increment), to find the ballpark I want to be in, then refine from there. (Don't tell the guys at Hornady)

Once I'm finalizing a load, an ES of 30fps isn't awful, but I'm looking/ shooting for 20fps or less.

And yes, the Garmin is a game changer. As has been stated by others, if you've never owned a chronograph before, you shouldn't be able to just buy a Garmin. You should have to suffer with the old types like the rest of us did! 🤣
A SALESMAN FOR GARMIN.🤣🤣👌

For most shooters and hunters they're not necessary. If you stick to moderate loads and keep your shots inside of a few hundred yards you don't need one.

Velocity is the only somewhat reliable indicator of pressure you can get without getting specialized pressure trace equipment. If you're pushing a particular cartridge hard that's important.

For long range shooting they're useful for determining if your velocity consistency is acceptable or not.

For hunting if you think you may be approaching your bullets expansion velocity you need to know your muzzle velocity to calculate the velocity at a particular range.

Like anything they can be a waste of time, especially if you use them improperly. Ladder tests for velocity nodes are one thing common example.

If you are shooting or planning to shoot LR, just run your ballistics calcs for a 50-100 fps load variance at 800-1,000 yds and see the difference in hit or miss potential. Also, since there so many variables between rifles, loads, bullets, etc, reloading manual velocities cannot be trusted as true for your criteria. If you do not know your velocities, you cannot accurately predict your ballistics at LR.

Velocity is a must have. I shoot elr and I now have a garmin very handy. But not only getting your speed numbers but I think more important is seeing your sd and es numbers on your load so it stays consistent. I try for sd in single digits and es I want 20 and under for sure. For my elr load I will keep the string going and shoot 40 to 50 rds over the garmin to really see what the load does. Then I plug that into my kestrel and usually the drops line up with no adjusting.