The importance of knowing your equipment

406precision

Over the last ten years we have seen the technology and equipment used for long range hunting and shooting as well as hunting in general take a huge leap forward.

This advancement can be seen in every aspect of our gear from rangefinders, gps systems, weather stations, ballistic calculators, dedicated long range optics, newer calibers designed for extreme accuracy and energy dispersion at extended range, to the clothing we choose to wear while out in the field.

However something that gets over by hunters and the marketing departments that target them is that knowing how to effectively use this technology is as important as the technology itself!

When attending our classes we encourage hunters to bring all of the equipment that they plan on using in the field as we have found that practicing with your equipment is paramount in determining its worth in the field.

We have been very surprised by how many people don't know how to effectively use their equipment. It seems that buying the equipment and taking it out of the package is the normal break in procedure for many and this is a habit that certainly needs to change.

Any hunter needs to be extremely familiar with his or her chosen equipment and how it works in order to be completely confident in it and to get the full benefit out of it. A gps that you don't know how to work is about as useful as a rifle with no cartridges. More and more we hear of hunters getting themselves in a jack pot by simply not knowing how their gear works.

One often overlooked but very common issue we see is with laser range finders…more than once I have heard a client or hunter blaming they're lack of success on a piece of equipment only for it to be user error that caused the issue in the first place.

For example if your equipment is calibrated to shoot in yards and your rangefinder is set up to give ranges in meters this can cause you some severe and disturbing errors in long distance adjustments.. another common range finder issue is not taking the time to sight your range finder in…Sight your range finder in ? ( I can smell the wheels burning on this one) Yes sight your rangefinder in as with any optic your rangefinder is equipped with a reticle for aiming at the target you intend to range…however it is very important that you know where on that reticle the measurement is coming from…for example if the bottom of said reticle is the point that is actually ranging back to you ….you need to be aware of this and believe me very few people practice with their rangefinder and pay any attention to this very important detail.

So as you head out into the field this season it doesn't matter if you choose to shoot a muzzle loader or a 338 lapua you need to know and understand your equipment and this comes from …reading directions, asking questions, seeking education, and PRACTICING WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT IN THE FIELD. These steps will go a long way in increasing your success and decreasing a missed opportunity or wounded animal.

Feel free to chime in on your experiences or thoughts

Jordan@406

This topic is a huge pet peeve for me. My dad and his cousin went shooting with me about a year or so ago and enjoyed banging steel at 900-1300 yards with my rifles. They both went out and bought guns for long range hunting. My dad built an edge and his cousin bought a lapua. I helped them work loads and got both guns shooting well at 200 yards. The cousin went out and bought a high end range finder sand bags and all the other gear. Since they both hunt together my dad didnt get a rangefinder to carry. Last hunting Season I get a phone call. They are watching a nice bull at just over 900 yards. They didnt have a way to calculate diall up. Neither of them got an app for their phones. I had put all their info in my app for when we went shooting. It was wrote down for them but they never got an app to put it in. The most accurate rifle in the world with the best scope on the planet are not worth anything if you dont know how to use it. No tags were filled by them last year. I will not talk them through dial up over the phone without actually being there to read the variables.

Seriously? I'm surprised that you are surprised! I have a friend who got a new rifle recently. I bet he won't shoot 2 boxes of cartridges before he hunts. And he isn't a shooter of any sort.

I'm getting an Elk rifle for -next year- and I will have dry fired it 1000s of times and put hundreds of rounds down range from 100 to 850 yards in all positions and conditions before I use it next year.

We have been very surprised by how many people don't know how to effectively use their equipment. It seems that buying the equipment and taking it out of the package is the normal break in procedure for many and this is a habit that certainly needs to change.

Jordan@406

It was wrote down for them but they never got an app to put it in. The most accurate rifle in the world with the best scope on the planet are not worth anything if you dont know how to use it. No tags were filled by them last year. I will not talk them through dial up over the phone without actually being there to read the variables.

My gads... If they want to do it old school... They could have at least written down the dope and taped it to the stock! It wouldn't have helped for incline or wind... But at the very least, would have got them in the ballpark. Low wind cals for distance can be memorized ... While incline is something I generally have to calculate.

At the very least... Both should have tried to close the distance on their own without a call home for info. Wow.

Good thread Jordan.

This is something the Military figured out a long time ago.

From weapons to radios to pup tents when you're not using them you are training with them.

All the high tech gear in the world is useless if you can't use it effectively even when under great stress.

In years gone by I can't tell you how many people I saw at a campground sitting there reading he instructions trying to up up their new tent or had guys I was guiding not be familiar with even the basic functionality of the weapon they were carrying.

The off season is the time for practice. Plan on taking short weekend trips bringing all of your gear along so you can get completely familiar with everything from your scope to your camp stove and it will save you a great many headaches and possibly even blown hunts in the fall.

It doesn't matter if you can pull the trigger if you don't get there to start with or if your rifle, optics, range finder etc has a functionality issue you can't deal with.

The most successful long range competition riflemen and hunters I've known have the ability to "know what they don't know" combined with the extreme importance of applying this. Knowing and applying what you don't know. Someone who understands this is most assuredly capable of continuous success.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.