Help me identify this rifle

mudygmc

Hey guys im trying to help my sister out here. She is having some friends watch her kids while she is at a business conference. The husband of the couple takes my neice fishing and helps my sister a lot. He is hoping to take his grandfathers old rifle deer hunting this year. As a thank you she was thinking of setting him up with a scope setup for the rifle. This is his first time rifle hunting deer and its an old rifle. Doesnt need to be anything special. She sent me a couple pics of the rifle asking about it. I dont know what model it is and am looking for help. Just looking for cheap options for it. If anybody has anything laying around theyd part with or can point me/her in the right direction that would be awesome. Here are the pics of the rifle she sent me.
31694.jpeg
31692.jpeg

Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Adam

Thanks guys. Can't say I remember seeing one any time recently. I dont make it to gun shops often anymore though. Not many around NW north Dakota. I will do some looking and see what I can find for her. I appreciate the help.

Adam

My first rifle was a 721, replaced everything on it. Wouldn't hold zero or group.

Have an idea how deep you want to go down that rabbit hole before you start.

morning, the pine box stock on the rifle is good kindling.
I had a custom 721 30-06. H&S stock, timney trigger. would
shoot tight 1" groups. could not understand why the
rifle kicked like a mule. justme gbot tum

I am not sure about what your budget is; you didn't say? From your original post, it appears that your budget is limited. First I'd like to say that the rifle your sister has is a good, vintage rifle, in a good caliber, all of the 721s I have are really good shooters, I have a couple of them in my stash. When you ask about putting a scope on that rifle, it can go from $200-$3000+++ depending upon budget. For rings in the low end of the budget spectrum there are the Leopold, 2 piece standard rings and bases for $39.34 with free shipping from Midway. If I were looking for a low end solution for a rifle scope I would give Midway a call, tell them what you are attempting to do and ask them to help you out to see if there are any combination specials that they have. I am sure that you could get this rifle set up for a very reasonable price. It is important to remember that you are not getting a top end quality set up, but....a scope on a first rifle to take on a deer hunt. I can tell you that I started out with many set ups of this nature when I first started deer hunting; the set ups were cheap, but I was still out hunting and sometimes when the deer hunting gods were shining upon me I would take a deer. Good luck with your venture.

www.midwayusa.com/product/1362245357

Last edited:
The 721 was the fore runner of the 700 and most were good shooters. My dad had an o6 when I was a kid and I shot many deer with it. It had a J2. 5 Weaver scope with a side mount so he could use the open sights. With that straight stock, light weight, and Steele butt plate, it kicked like a mad mule; especially with the 220 grain corelokts that he bought at the local store!! :eek:

EGW makes a picatinny rail for the 721. Brownells has them for $36. Add a set of Warne rings for about $40, and the scope of your choice. I am seeing basic 3-9x scopes from Vortex, Burris, Nikon, and Sig Sauer on Midway for between $110 and $150.

I appreciate the info. Sister had a 4-12x44 nikon sitting there and ordered a set of med height talleys for 39. So for 138.00 she got the guy setup with a decent setup for his 06. She feels good about it and he will be super happy with it.

Adam

i have killed several truck loads of deer with a 721 in 3006 with a older 3x9 leupold scope, using 55 grs imr 4350 and a 165 gr nosler BT bullet at 2800 fps. honest 1-1-1/4" three shot groups at 150 yards from a bench rest.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.