Help Me Choose, 257 roberts

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Dalebow, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Dalebow

Dalebow Well-Known Member

2. 4bycamper

4bycamper Well-Known Member

The 257 Roberts has been killing deer for 50 years, well before the popularity of custom bullets. Any of the ones you listed will work. I like the 1/4 inch calibers even if I don't have one right now. I also like heavy-for-caliber bullets, so I'll vote for the 115 g. but I don't think you'll get the velocities you listed. Seems pretty hot to me. I'll bet the accuracy load is more like 2900 fps.

Both the Barnes and the Burger will want a custom seating depth.
    I have several 7mms and both of them wanted the Barnes TX to jump .050 or more.
    Hornady says the Roberts really likes RL-19. Sounds right to me. I'm currently building a 6mm Rem. also on the Mauser case. I'll have to try RL-19 in it.

Good luck with your new lever.

3. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

I used the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips with very good results on 300+lb. deer in Michigan. Dropped them like a rock! ( I used H414 and IMR 4350 @3000fps). Another load I used was the Sierra 117 grain bullet at about 2850fps. The Hornaday SST might also be a great bullet. Looking back, I think the SST and the Nosler about as good as it can get for the .257 Roberts
    gary

4. ANGCorsair

ANGCorsair New Member

I would check your magazine length and then ask for the OAL on all of those loads. The BLR's have a tendency to have short magazines and all of those high BC bullets you listed there are long for their weight class.