Help Me Choose, 257 roberts

Dalebow

The 257 Roberts has been killing deer for 50 years, well before the popularity of custom bullets. Any of the ones you listed will work. I like the 1/4 inch calibers even if I don't have one right now. I also like heavy-for-caliber bullets, so I'll vote for the 115 g. but I don't think you'll get the velocities you listed. Seems pretty hot to me. I'll bet the accuracy load is more like 2900 fps.

Both the Barnes and the Burger will want a custom seating depth.
I have several 7mms and both of them wanted the Barnes TX to jump .050 or more.
Hornady says the Roberts really likes RL-19. Sounds right to me. I'm currently building a 6mm Rem. also on the Mauser case. I'll have to try RL-19 in it.

Good luck with your new lever.

I have one of the Brownign BLR in 257 Roberts coming, perfect little stand, blind gun for deer and antelope I am leaning towards the Barnes 100gr tsx but wanted your thoughts, Ive shot the 257 weatherby and 25 06 but have no experience with the roberts.

257 Roberts 80 Gr. Barnes Tipped TSX

3400 FPS

257 Roberts 100 Gr. Barnes Tipped TSX

3215 fps

257 Roberts 115 Gr. Barnes TSX

3005 FPS

257 Roberts 115 Gr. Berger VLD Hunting

3000 FPS

Thanks

I used the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips with very good results on 300+lb. deer in Michigan. Dropped them like a rock! ( I used H414 and IMR 4350 @3000fps). Another load I used was the Sierra 117 grain bullet at about 2850fps. The Hornaday SST might also be a great bullet. Looking back, I think the SST and the Nosler about as good as it can get for the .257 Roberts
gary

I would check your magazine length and then ask for the OAL on all of those loads. The BLR's have a tendency to have short magazines and all of those high BC bullets you listed there are long for their weight class.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.