HELP: Hornady seater is crimping/smashing the bullet ogive

It is likely simply the 223wssm brass combined with the softer bullet nose. You will likely have to anneal the brass or use another bullet. If you have a factory chamber I wouldn't thin your necks, but if you have a custom barrel you my be able to thin them a bit. This thick neck/ hard to seat bullet crap is endemic to the wssm's. I've loaded a ton of 25 wssm brass and I've even had this problem a bit with 100 grain sierra pills using 4895-- no compression there for sure.

It is likely simply the 223wssm brass combined with the softer bullet nose. You will likely have to anneal the brass or use another bullet. If you have a factory chamber I wouldn't thin your necks, but if you have a custom barrel you my be able to thin them a bit. This thick neck/ hard to seat bullet crap is endemic to the wssm's. I've loaded a ton of 25 wssm brass and I've even had this problem a bit with 100 grain sierra pills using 4895-- no compression there for sure.

thanks Lefty...

I measured the OD of the case necks this morning... .265" before and .266" after bullet seated. hmmm...

As for the seating stem... looks like Hornady sells an additional stem for a .224 A-max. No markings on the one that came with the dies so I couldn't tell ya if that's what I already have or if I should buy the additional one. Might have to just get ahold of Hornady on that note.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.