help!! has anyone heard of 8.8 x 72R ??

338bigdog

Ladies and gents,

just because i'm a beginner to this forum and technical aspects of rifles, doesn't mean i don't love them.

As such, can i please get some help?

I have come into posession of a drilling ie 16 gauge double barrel and a rifled barrel underneath.

on that barrel it is stamped 8.8 x 72, or rather exactly "8,8mm ---- (over) 72"

The model and brand of the firearm is unknown however only proofing marks that are readable are "nitro" "ERFUT" (lead me to believe it is a mauser or sauer) and a number of other proofing marks which i have been unable to make out.

The gun is old, i estimate about 1940 something. it has a name, probably of a manufacturer on the top bead which starts as "arnold" the surname is a german name that i can no longer read but is probably about 20 letters long.

So whats the problem?

I have searched high and low in australia for anyone who has ever heard of this calibre. the closest thing available is an 8 x 72 R and while the "72R" bit is right (the bullets i'm looking for should be rimmed), the 8 isn't. its to small

so i had a mould made up, of a poxy. the venier calipers tell me that at the head of the shell it should be 6.5mm and the mouth is approx 4.85-4.90mm.

i am yet to send the mould to a manufacturer in victoria (bertram bullets), however after speaking to them on the phone, initial indications don't look to good

i have consulted the cartridges of the world book at the local gun shop and apparently, according to the man behind the counter, a very very VERY close match is a bullet called "333 jefferys flange" which however is an obsolete model.

bottom line is, i cannot find the right size for this!

what next?

well i know that alot of drillings were made by alot of germans. and alot of those people did make their own bullets to suit. so it could very well be a niche bullet

but i know, in this huge wide world of things that go bang, there has to be a bullet out there to suit.

so can any one help me? this has been a hunt for 2 years. and i am only getting hungrier and hungrier for a solution

i know most of you are thinking, don't bother its a **** gun, well that may be that it doesn't have the anti tank power of a .50 cal, but it is of sentimental value, a family heirloom. so to me....IT MUST WORK

how can you help?

has anyone heard of this calibre before? if so, can you tell me more about it.

i know my search must go beyond the borders of australia if need be, and i will pay for a solution. and now i'm even more hungry cos the guy in the gun shop kept telling me to give up looking

can someone please direct me on who i can talk to and where they are?

many thanks and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

hi, i have a gun just like yours. same caliber and 16 guage. my problem is the fore grip and stock is missing. i wish you would do me a favor, would you take some good pictures of the forend all sides and mesuraments. i am so glad i found you. i haven't found anyone that had one before now.
thank you so much
bobby

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.