Help!! GPS illiterate

I'm like the other guy, past about 200 yards my Garmin measures in .1 mile increments. A tenth of a mile is 528 feet or 176 yards. That means your target range can be off by plus or minus 175 yards, or up to 350 yards. I can guess closer than that. Am I figuring that right?

That's funny! If what you're saying were true, why do you think anybody even uses one?!!! Read your instructional book and use your zoom in/out feature, etc., do as we said and you'll figure it out. As we said, most of the newer units are accurate within 15' or less, especially when you have WAAS enabled.

That's funny! If what you're saying were true, why do you think anybody even uses one?!!! Read your instructional book and use your zoom in/out feature, etc., do as we said and you'll figure it out. As we said, most of the newer units are accurate within 15' or less, especially when you have WAAS enabled.

Oh, mine is plenty accurate as far as position. Probably even closer than the 15'. But that is for location purposes. The problem is in how it displays distance between two waypoints. Its not in feet once you pass 528 feet, it's in tenths of a mile. Thats where the problem comes in
I wish you could tell the unit how to display distance : yards, meters or feet. That would also be great fot Google Earth and Google Maps. Most of us wouldn't even need a range finder.

Did you ever think about setting a waypoint right where it changes from feet to .1 miles? Then you will be back in feet to get to the next spot. Just keep doing that and adding feet together to make the various points you want all the way out to 1000+ yards or whatever.

I've tried every way in the world to measure distance. Thank goodness they finally invented an affordable range finder so i don't have to do it any more. I love my Leica.

You said you own a Garmin and if that's the case it should have a distance measurement in the setup section of the booklet. Normally you can set up one of the pages for time elapsed, distance traveled, etc. Look it up in the instruction booklet and I'l bet you'll find what you need to do what you want.

lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Range finder for distance and GPS for location !!!!

If your range finder only works to 800 yards or so then you need to use GPS for extended range shooting.

Most of the new GPS units have a track feature that can be displayed in yards or feet.

lightbulblightbulblightbulb

Range finder for distance and GPS for location !!!!

If your range finder only works to 800 yards or so then you need to use GPS for extended range shooting.

Most of the new GPS units have a track feature that can be displayed in yards or feet.

***Actually, if he can't figure out how to use his GPS like we are talking about, he could use his range finder for the initial target distances and then go from there on out to 1000+ yards, since he wouldn't have to only use his bench as the only waypoint to shoot a distance from! It's not really rocket science, LOL!!!

Or I can just sit at my shooting bench and range my target (or deer) out to just over 2000 yards with my Leica range finder instead of climbing up and down the three ridges I'm shooting from, over and to. If it gets any farther than that I'll just drive over there and use my odometer to measure the distance. I'll leave all that GPSin' to you Rocket Scientist. :) It sounds like you've got everything figured out.

Boy! do I wish I lived close to one of you guys or better you lived close to me as don't want to move, but, I am on my third GPS handheld. I have never been able to figure out how to use one yet (keep trying to buy a simpler one). The first problem is all instruction books are something like computer how to books, that all assume you already know something about them, they use language I don't understand. The second problem a 72 year old mind that cant think these new ways, I gave up.

Or I can just sit at my shooting bench and range my target (or deer) out to just over 2000 yards with my Leica range finder instead of climbing up and down the three ridges I'm shooting from, over and to. If it gets any farther than that I'll just drive over there and use my odometer to measure the distance. I'll leave all that GPSin' to you Rocket Scientist. :) It sounds like you've got everything figured out.

lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts