Old to New GPS-- Help!!

duckhunter175

Guys-- I have an almost 10 year old Garmin 60csx-- It has been an awesome unit but it is starting to go. It is having issue acquiring satellites, issues with lagging between pages, and to top it off after years in my pack and in my kit the buttons have worn off and some are worn through.

Garmin Tech Support said they no longer repair these units and the only option was to download my data into the 'Base Camp' application and then send the unit it for a discount on a new unit.

Here are my questions--

1. Is there any aftermarket company that can repair the buttons and update the firmware on a very old 60 CSX??

2. Has anyone used the Garmin 'Base Camp' app with success for downloading old waypoints, etc etc??

3. If I do need to get a new unit what are the differences between the 62s/62ST and the 64s/64st???

any other thoughts and considerations?

The difference between the 64s and 64st is that the st comes preloaded with topo maps on the gps. I have the 64st and love it, simple to use and it is easy on batteries plus the ability for using "on x hunt" state maps is fantastic. Great GPS!!!

Ducky, I also have the 64ST. It is quite a bit advanced compared to my son's 60CSX. It acquires the satellites a lot quicker and has more features than I can use. Bought it on sale at Cabelas with some gift certificates. I only use mine for hunts and inputting coordinates for spots I haven't been to. Always had a Garmin, started with the first one they offered. Son has had no problems with his. I wish every person who ventures into the field had one and knows how to use it so they can find their way back safely. A few years ago I witnessed a lost Hunter being picked up by searchers. This guy totally lost it, freaked out. He lost his rifle, hat, jacket, backpack and was bloody from crashing through the brush. He had only been lost for 11 hours, guess with some it doesn't take long to fall apart.

You should have a usb cable and the gps should go into mass storage mode when plugged into a pc. You can simply copy the waypoints and tracks off the unit at that point. Copy the whole "garmin" folder if you want.

Basecamp is a basic app from Garmin but will enable you to copy the data off the gps and onto your pc.

these guys can help
;

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/tutorial-Importing-and-Exporting-Waypoints-and-Tracks

I use Garmin Base Camp extensively for hunting as well as my work at a Motorcycle Referee at professional bike races in the US and Canada. I'm usually the guy who uploads all the waypoints, routes and tracks into the other 50-60 Garmin GPSs.

While I'm very fluent in Base Camp I don't see any of the Garmin 60 units. Most of us run two GPSs and some of the guys use the model 60 for speed and distance only as their second GPS.

However, one of my colleagues has been around long enough to know that model and I'll text him so he gets it in the morning when he wakes up East Coast time. I'll let you know when he responds.

Meanwhile, I'll do whatever I can to help you with your transition.

Another great resource for ANYTHING GARMIN for people reading this is GPS City. They are located here in Las Vegas, I know the owners and they sell more Garmin GPSs than all other retailers combined. They have a lot of videos on YouTube and their site to review. Someone there may know the answer if my colleague does not.

Good luck! ~Robert

This is the response from my Garmin Jedi pal Jim. If anyone would know he would.

"My 60CSX also has issues - and my issues are just in the battery compartment. I don't know of anyone who works on these - the technology is too old.

And Basecamp never worked w/ these elder toys. "

Sorry it's not the answer you'd like to hear...

Robert

This is the response from my Garmin Jedi pal Jim. If anyone would know he would.

"My 60CSX also has issues - and my issues are just in the battery compartment. I don't know of anyone who works on these - the technology is too old.

And Basecamp never worked w/ these elder toys. "

Sorry it's not the answer you'd like to hear...

Robert

Definitely not what I wanted to hear! I'm gonna hook it up via USB anyways and see what I can manage. Otherwise I'll be hand jamming coordinates for my old spots, stands and blinds!!

I did a thorough scrub of the specs for the 64, 64s, 64st on Garmin's website.

64- Base model, micro SD compatible, quad helix antenna, 4gb internal storage, GPS/GLONASS, DOES NOT come with topo, Birdseye or any other map loaded, NOT wireless capable

64s- micro SD compatible, quad helix antenna, 4gb internal storage, GPS/GLONASS, DOES come with 1year Birdseye ($30), IS wireless capable-- can receive texts, can utilize garmins live tracking.

64ST--micro SD compatible, quad helix antenna, EIGHT gb internal storage, GPS/GLONASS, DOES come with 1year Birdseye ($30) AND Topos, IS wireless capable-- can receive texts, can utilize garmins live tracking.

Has anyone used the Garmin 'Live Tracking' or the 'Smart Notification'???

Are these features 2-way?? IE- can I send texts or any notification?

It would be awesome to have the capability to use this as more of a SPOT/locator beacon.

If you get in a bind with your waypoints I can help. I'm a garmin marine dealer and have multiple softwares for transferring waypoints from anything to anything. I use the 64st and the base camp software has become one of my favorite hunting tools. We don't have a lot of topo down here so I use the birds eye sat charts more than anything at home but the topos look good in my other stomping grounds. For a no bs handheld the 64st has been very good to me so far.

If you get in a bind with your waypoints I can help. I'm a garmin marine dealer and have multiple softwares for transferring waypoints from anything to anything. I use the 64st and the base camp software has become one of my favorite hunting tools. We don't have a lot of topo down here so I use the birds eye sat charts more than anything at home but the topos look good in my other stomping grounds. For a no bs handheld the 64st has been very good to me so far.

Thanks!! May need to take you up on this. Going to give it a try. For my old one, even if I can't save the data in a transferable file it would be great to have the list of waypoint names and coordinates! I'll shoot you a pm this week

Guys-- I have an almost 10 year old Garmin 60csx-- It has been an awesome unit but it is starting to go. It is having issue acquiring satellites, issues with lagging between pages, and to top it off after years in my pack and in my kit the buttons have worn off and some are worn through.

Garmin Tech Support said they no longer repair these units and the only option was to download my data into the 'Base Camp' application and then send the unit it for a discount on a new unit.

Here are my questions--

1. Is there any aftermarket company that can repair the buttons and update the firmware on a very old 60 CSX??

2. Has anyone used the Garmin 'Base Camp' app with success for downloading old waypoints, etc etc??

3. If I do need to get a new unit what are the differences between the 62s/62ST and the 64s/64st???

any other thoughts and considerations?

Your is considerably newer than mine (purchased in 1992) :):D:cool: ...

Eagle%20GPS_zpsk7z5yeio.jpg

... recently upgraded to >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f106/garmin-oregon-650t-171694/

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.