HELP- fireforming to .243 ackley

I load em and shoot em (using 108 Berger BTs). My forming load shoots well enough I used it in matches with no difficulties.

Jeffvn

I just loaded up medium powered loads for my Ackley 25-06. Never got a usable case from Winchester brass, though. They all split in four places. Remington brass worked well, and all the expensive stuff...Nosler, Lapua, etc., all worked well. I did experience one surprise, though. The Ackley improved cartridge almost doubled the recoil from the original 25-06. I took it down to Benchmark barrels to have a brake put on and talked to them about the problem, and they said they see that all the time. They claimed the increased neck angle causes that.

I always used the cornmeal or quaker oats and have done thousands of rounds over the years / never a problem just have a good charge to move the shoulder for the 40 degrees
with the extra recoil : how about re-throating make it a bit longer and reduce PSI - recoil maybe,. My load for a military match 06 brass is: 58.10 gr / 4831 powder / 100 gr bullet = 3575 FPS with commercial at that time had Norma brass 3455-3485 FPS

Last edited:
I would like a recipe for fire-forming the .243 ackley with the cream of wheat method. I have the following fast burning powders: clays, hp-38 and hs-6. If none of these powders will work, what kind do I need, and how much of it?

Thanks,

Tony.
Tony,
I've recently used this technique that works well.

FIRE FORMING WITHOUT BULLET AND WITHOUT CREAM OF WHEAT
PER SPEEDY GONZALEZ

FILL ONE OF THE CASES THAT YOU WISH TO FIREFORM ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP

OF THE NECK WITH ALLIANT 2400 POWDER. WEIGH THE FULL CASE POWDER

CHARGE. CALCULATE WHAT 40% OF THE POWDER WEIGHT IS.

USING RIFLE PRIMERS CHARGE A FEW CASES WITH THE 40% WEIGHT. FILL CASE

WITH A COTTON BALL. YOU CAN ALSO SEAL THE CASE MOUTH WITH BEE'S WAX.

A 12" X 12" SHEET CAN BE PURCHASED FROM HOBBY LOBBY. LUBE THE CASES

BEFORE FIRING.

IF CASES ARE NOT COMPLETELY FORMED WITH 40% BUMP LOAD UP TO 45 OR

50%. MAXIMUM SHOULD BE 60%.

Since someone brought the zombie thread back from 13 years ago....

Today....
20220205_081135.jpg

Recent Posts