25-06 ackley fireforming

liquid1

Hi ,have recently re-barreled my sako AV to 25-06 ackley. I intend to fireform the cases using the COW method. The only pistol powder i have is ADI AP70n which is the same as Hodgen universal and unique in burn rates. Has anyone used these powders in the ackley and what would be a good starting load to try ?

Thanks in advance

I'll share my experience with the COW method, well it just sucked.....

I gave it a run and never got one case to form out as well as I have simply loading and shooting the darned thing like it was supposed to be in the first place.

So when I started to use bullets I had some Sierra 100gr Spitzers I used over 52grs of IMR-4831. They formed every case first shot no issues what so ever. Once I used them up I switched over to the Hornady 120gr HP and dropped the charge down to 50grs of the same. I'm using these now to not only to FF but also to hunt with as well. They will hold better than 1" groups at 200yds and heck that ain't too shabby. The last trip to the country I dropped a young yote at 287yds with one. It isn't as fast as sitting at the range doing one after another, but I get enough hogs and yotes to shoot at it don't take long to get enough to work with in a short period of time.

The COW method might save you some barrel life, but to me it simply wasn't worth the mess. I like to shoot, and being as it is just as accurate, well almost, as the formed cases and loads, I might as well have some fun while doing so. It it were meant for bench rest I might have a bit different opinion, but since I have had a factory 25-06 for close to 20yrs and shot the daylights out of it, and it still holds 3/4" at 200 or better, I figured this one could handle it as well. So far so good.

I know it isn't what you asked for but you might be missing a prime chance to have some fun while breaking in your barrel and dropping some vermin in the process. Worst case, you at least get a fully formed case the first time around.

Corn meal and red dot....I think I'ld rather shoot up some bullets too.

So I just ordered a barrel for my .25-06 and am considering going AI, how much extra velocity do you guys realistically feel you're getting?

I have used the COW method myself but only to form new brass for the the same chamber dimensions . On the 6mmbr website there is much to be learned about fire forming to completely new dimensions . There is simply NOT enough pressure buildup to FULLY expand a brass case without doing it multiple times in a row . Just go ahead and shoot bullets just touching the lands and be careful with your charges . You could potentially not only fire form your cases but ruin them in the process.

I use a standard load factory 25-06 round to form my own. Now that Ive finished that I'm switching to "equivalent" reloads using new Rem brass. It sure "pops" them out to proper config using those loads. Got my scope sighted in super fine that way...they ARE accurate still.

Im not messing with corn meal or corn bread or any other garbage going down the tube that I have to scrub clean.

So I just ordered a barrel for my .25-06 and am considering going AI, how much extra velocity do you guys realistically feel you're getting?

To be totally honest, everything else equal on the rifle and within the same pressures, your going to only see maybe 250fps of realistic gain depending on the bullet weights and powders used.

That said, when I built my AI version, I went with a 28" finished lenght barrel. I did this expressly to get all I felt I could from the usable case capacity and the slower powders. I however also went with a 1-9 twist Broughton 4-1 Magnum Sporter 5C barrel, which now I feel has cut some velocity off my top end loads, but I don't mind as I am getting fantastic groups with the bullet weight I am wanting to shoot. How much did I loose over the standard 1-10 is up in the air, and personally I am not sweating it.

When I started out forming cases and working towards finding my top end loads I used two sets of 25 cases. The first set was standard Winchester 25-06 cases, the second set was Lapua 30-06 cases which were necked down to the point I could just chamber them with a slight felt resistance when the bolt closed. Neither had the bullets into the lands and both sets formed perfectly the first firing. After forming they all were checked for length and faced off to the same lenght.

To determine where my max load was going to be I took 5 each of the cases and the three powders I wanted to use and begin to work up. I had researched every load I could find for the standard 25 using 120gr bullets and quite a few for the 257 WBY which used 24-26" barrel lengths. I sort of picked a middle ground for a top end velocity and went for it. Having the extra 4" of barrel and figuring the added velocity for it I easily got up into the WBY velocity range with the 120gr bullets, and then some, before I started to see any sign of flattened primer or case head marks. This said however with the straightened out case of the AI being what it is and holding the chamber better than the more tapered standard version does, this can and does mask some indications of pressure, so once I saw these signs I backed off a couple of grains to use as my max load. Even with this I am easily able to push the 120gr loads to 3350fps with the case loaded with Ramshot Magnum and the added length of the 28" barrel.

Had I gone with the 1-10, I might have gained a few more FPS, but I am already in the velocity range I was wanting to be and getting sub MOA groups out past 300yds, all with excellent case life, and none of the added trimming I has having to do with the standard version every three or so loads.

I have seen plenty of folks who get the usual 150'ish FPS over the standard version say that they like the switch, but weren't overly impressed with the gain. IMO to build one is a personal preference. I felt if I was going to go for it I might as well start off with all I could and worst case I could always have the barrel cut back if I wasn't happy, but couldn't add on if needed. I also chose the 5C bore simply due to reports of easier cleaning, less fouling, and some reports of added velocity. Can't say one way or the other, but I know it only takes a short scrub, and I am done, and there is hardly any fouling what so ever when I do. I also cannot argue one bit with the accuracy I have seen across the board with the bullets I have tried. This may have more to do with the fellow who put it all together than the components, but I haven't really shot anything through it yet that I would consider horrible, and even my FF loads will group around an inch at 200yds.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts