Help designing new build

260savage

Hey guys

I have a Savage Model 11 in .260 that I am looking to "improve" a bit. I have never built a gun before and do not have any gun smithing experience. I also do not have machining tools, but I understand that I can do a lot of work on a Savage myself. I plan to use it for western hunting. I know the heavier guns are generally more accurate but I want to try to find a happy medium between good accuracy and light weight, with accuracy being more important between the two.

The caliber... I hunt 80% deer and 20% elk. I do reload and enjoy it. I will consider just about anything, but I am currently looking at 260AI, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5-284 or .284. I would also add 6.5-06, 280AI, 7SAUM or 7mm to the list but I don't think I can do that being my action is a SA. What do you suggest?

The barrel... I do not know much about them. Im assuming 24 or 26"? What contour and manufacturer do you suggest? I see Kreiger and Bartlein thrown around a lot. I belief I would need a prefit barrel correct?

The stock... I like the looks of the M24 style stocks but I care more about performance than looks. Most of my shots are prone and I do very little bench shooting outside of load development. What stock would you suggest?

Im sure there are other things I should look at, perhaps a new recoil lug? Anything Ive left out?

I have a budget of about $1000 (not including scope). I will spend what I have to, but I don't want to blow a bunch of cash on diminishing returns either. If you don't mind, layout what you would do given my objectives.

THANKS!

Hey guys

I have a Savage Model 11 in .260 that I am looking to "improve" a bit. I have never built a gun before and do not have any gun smithing experience. I also do not have machining tools, but I understand that I can do a lot of work on a Savage myself. I plan to use it for western hunting. I know the heavier guns are generally more accurate but I want to try to find a happy medium between good accuracy and light weight, with accuracy being more important between the two.

The caliber... I hunt 80% deer and 20% elk. I do reload and enjoy it. I will consider just about anything, but I am currently looking at 260AI, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5-284 or .284. I would also add 6.5-06, 280AI, 7SAUM or 7mm to the list but I don't think I can do that being my action is a SA. What do you suggest?

The barrel... I do not know much about them. Im assuming 24 or 26"? What contour and manufacturer do you suggest? I see Kreiger and Bartlein thrown around a lot. I belief I would need a prefit barrel correct?

The stock... I like the looks of the M24 style stocks but I care more about performance than looks. Most of my shots are prone and I do very little bench shooting outside of load development. What stock would you suggest?

Im sure there are other things I should look at, perhaps a new recoil lug? Anything Ive left out?

I have a budget of about $1000 (not including scope). I will spend what I have to, but I don't want to blow a bunch of cash on diminishing returns either. If you don't mind, layout what you would do given my objectives.

THANKS!

IMHO, you're in the right track and have established one of the most important thing (at least for me) is the budget and application.

As far as barrel contour, it depends on your weight goal of your rifle. Twist would depend on what chambering and bullet you decide to use. I would go with a min of 26" for LRH/S.

If your going to do it yourself, you can go with the prefit barrel route form various barrel manufacturers.

Some of the tools you'll need are ...
- barrel vise and wrench
- torque wrench
- go-no go gauge

This is just to get you started as others chimes in ...

Good luck on your project!

Thanks FEENIX
I don't have a particular weight in mind, I'm pretty flexible as long as the extra weight is helping my accuracy. For the sake of throwing a number out there, I'll say 7lbs for the rifle itself.

Im leaning toward staying with 260 as I don't know that any other SA caliber is superior enough to justify buying new brass and new dies.

IMHO, you're in the right track and have established one of the most important thing (at least for me) is the budget and application.

As far as barrel contour, it depends on your weight goal of your rifle. Twist would depend on what chambering and bullet you decide to use. I would go with a min of 26" for LRH/S.

If your going to do it yourself, you can go with the prefit barrel route form various barrel manufacturers.

Some of the tools you'll need are ...
- barrel vise and wrench
- torque wrench
- go-no go gauge

This is just to get you started as others chimes in ...

Good luck on your project!

Thanks FEENIX
I don't have a particular weight in mind, I'm pretty flexible as long as the extra weight is helping my accuracy. For the sake of throwing a number out there, I'll say 7lbs for the rifle itself.

Im leaning toward staying with 260 as I don't know that any other SA caliber is superior enough to justify buying new brass and new dies.

7lbs LOL. That's what my BARREL weighs.
You could build a WSM or SAUM on the SA Savage and have a noticeable increase in horsepower. Also the SS line that is popular on this board would add some zest and will run best in a SA.

I built a Savage once. Some things have a pretty well fixed cost and others have a variable cost.
If you replace the barrel, do the lug also.
Barrel $250-$500 EAB-Shilen
Recoil lug $30
Stock $125-$800 Boyds-Manners

My last Savage cost less than $1000 including donor action.

Prefit makers are Shilen, Criterion, Mcgowen, EAB(so-so), x-caliber, Many of them have already threaded stuff in stock.

My latest build took 7 days to conceive, order and complete.

As far as difficulty, I personally say that if you aren't smart enough to screw a Savage together you shouldn't be reloading or even own a gun for that matter.

Check savageshooters.com or more Savage specific info.

If your shooting prone the manners is another good stock if budget is paramount a thumbhole from boyds is considerable less and a comfortable shooting platform.
You can really up the ante with a short mag in 7mm. I'm looking in this dierection myself. It's hard to deny the advantages a 175-195 grain bullet brings to the table over the smaller bores. I wanted to do a 270 but with just the berger in a high BC bullet I went to the 7mm simply because of the ballistics. I'm looking more towards F class and long range whitetail and some coyotes way out there. Maybe even a wolf hunt if I can manage my time properly. I'm leaning toward the 7mm sherman short but still deciding which way I'm going to go action wise. I went with a Bartlein 5r 9twthat will finish 29 but may shorten that to 27 or 28 depending on how much the brake adds. My Safe is short and I cannot swing a bigger one right now

As far as difficulty, I personally say that if you aren't smart enough to screw a Savage together you shouldn't be reloading or even own a gun for that matter.

LOL. This is pretty true. I've got one in pieces on my bench now.

LOL. This is pretty true. I've got one in pieces on my bench now.

Be a good POLL TEST to see if you should qualify to vote. Can't screw together a Savage in 22 minutes and ya can't vote lol.

Anyone willing to help me narrow down a barrel? Looking for something accurate and lightweight. I'm more concerned with accuracy though than the weight.

Pac-nor, CBI, Shilen, Mcgowen on barrels.
Boyds, Choate, B&C, Manners, Mcmillan or a chassis like MDT or Mcree.

I own two Shilen prefit barrels. Both are real tackdrivers and I've gone many, many rounds without needing cleaning on the prairie dog towns. I've also just ordered a McGowen. Honestly I've not really heard accuracy issues from any of the prefit makers, so pick the one that fits your budget.

On a hunting stock, I really like the McMillan A3 Sporter on my primary deer/antelope 243AI. I'll be buying another for my 338 Edge. But that combined with the barrel will blow your budget.

I have a couple of the Boyds stocks. Once pillared and bedded, they have done very well for myself and friends for a fraction the price of a fiberglass stock...and are lighter.

I just built on a Savage model 12. Criterion 26 in varmint contour 1:8 twist 6.5 Creedmoor. For my stock I chose a HS-precision M24. It weighs 12 lbs. I ordered all my tools and and barrel from Jim at NSS. Not sure why it spun the pic sideways but I can't fix it.

Attachments

• 1026161749a.jpg
    1026161749a.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 25
Anyone willing to help me narrow down a barrel? Looking for something accurate and lightweight. I'm more concerned with accuracy though than the weight.

Toddc provided you a nice list. That's why I asked for a target weight because barrel length and contour adds to that. Also, my version of lightweight might be different to yours.

My .270 AI with 30" SS Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle, over 5 lbs) is ~12 lbs hunt ready as seen. The farthest hit target thus far is 936 yards.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.