Help bringing old rifle new life

There nothing wrong with the Walker trigger. I have had dozens over many years. Never an accidental discharge or any problem.

They are easy to adjust and work fine. Like all cassette triggers they need to be kept VERY clean.

As with most problems it's usually the nut behind the bolt. RTFI !!!

I have a 700 BDL 7mm mag that I bought new at a dime store in 1976 for $199. That date range of triggers is fine. But I prefer trigger upgrades and put in a Timney trigger in 1987. I also had a smith bed the action and crown the muzzle (11 degrees). These changes gave me a 0.5MOA rifle. I now go with TriggerTech 700 Special triggers. For fun (not necessity) I will be putting in a Bartlein 26" 5R SS barrel with a gain twist to 1:8.7" to push some heavier bullets.

Seems like you are pretty much a Hero-Daddy. So, I probably can't tell you anything you don't already know. I will suggest; you apply (best a man can) your girls' opinions/desires on the aspects that are important to them. With 5 of 'em, I'm betting that will cover pretty much everything you and this brain-trust can cover, and then some... Git 'er dun! It's gonna be fun. Especially with daddy's wallet and all! 👍😊

I would start by considering a high quality Barrel in the same contour; Chambered in .270 Win. Have the barrel and receiver and the bolt face all faced off, or (Blueprinted,) and then re assembled. Consider a Rem. 40X trigger, or a Rifle Basics Trigger. Pilar Bed the stock, and you have a new, semi custom rifle. Big Question. "What will it be used for??? " Discuss the Barrel length 22; 24 ;26 inch and the twist rate of the barrel with your gunsmith. Will this be a White tail deer rifle, or will it be used for bigger game like Elk, Moose or Brown Bear????? Will the 130 and 140 grn. bullets be mainly what you will use or will the 150 Grn and 170 Grn bullets be needed. Will this be your one and only rifle?? Think it through !!! This is a great opportunity to make it your perfect rifle. I have back up synthetic stocks for a few of my rifles. If the hunt is going to be wet and nasty, the the wood stock comes off, and the synthetic stock goes on. Then off to range for sighting in. Good luck to you!!!

I would stay with the 270 and use a 1-7 twist, that way you would be fast enough for any of the new long heavy .277 bullets. As you are wanting your girls to be able to keep shooting it I would get a stock they like and one that fits them. I would all so look at stocks that you can adjust the length of pull, that way you can adjust it as they grow.

I received my dad's 264 wm back in 2015 and the barrel was also shot out. I asked several family members what they would like me to do with it. They all wanted it re barreled and back shooting. The rifle is a Win 70 built in '65 and was a very accurate rifle so not just any barrel, it had to be a good one! The stock had been twisted and oil saturated. The stock was still looking good so I fixed all the issues and bedded the action. I had a local gentleman re barrel and check things out. No issues with bolt or trigger and he reamed the barrel with a factory spec chamber. I swapped out the base and rings a couple times til I was happy with alignment. After I had a load worked up it was off to the 1000 yard range with a group of guys. I felt a difference with this gun and introduced "My Dad's Gun" to them all and stated, "I'm bringing it back to life. Let's see what she can do!" I shot at several different ranges that day and up too 833 yards. I was 3 for 3 at 833. I can't lie, it was an emotional day. So I've opened a new chapter in My Dad's Gun. Still making memories with it and some day will pass it down to my son. There's just something extra sweet about that!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.