Help bringing old rifle new life

JD-ODINSON

I have an old Remington 700 in .270win, my father passed down to me, that he purchased back in the early 70's. I am looking to rebuild/refurbish it back into an up to date/modern hunting rifle. Any help or suggestions on the best options?

I have a Rem 700 that I bought used in 1975. A few years ago I had the action tried and a new barrel installed. Changed the cartridge from 7mm Rem Mag to 300 Win Mag. Then dropped the barreled action into a used Remington 5R stock. ( I think those are HS Precison) That's my version of an updated rifle.

The barrel is shot out, the bolt has some wear but seems fine and the action is fine. The trigger is one that remington has recalled so i would like it gone. The original wood stock cracked and I replaced it with a factory synthetic stock just to have one a while back. Ive thought about just taking the action and rebuilding a new .270 with a remage barrel and doing some work with the bolt.

Attachments

• 20200822_182402.jpg
    20200822_182402.jpg
    652.6 KB · Views: 189
The world is your oyster. You probably should decide what chambering you want first. Ie; what do you intend to shoot and at what max range? Barrels, bolts, and good 'smiths are plenty. If I was buying a new stock, I would look hard at the gel-coat swirl finish McMillan hunters. Of course, that's if I didn't want hardwood. Back to the world being your oyster. Enjoy the journey and congrats on the opportunity to enhance a family heirloom.

Last edited:
The gun has been shot consistently as long as my dad owned it and I've shot it even more since I was a kid. The accuracy has slowly gone from 1" groups at 100 yards, to 2-3" groups with a few worse flyers. We thought it was user error or the equipment until I had someone bore scope it and could see the first 6-8" of the barrel with significant wear and some pitting at the end of the barrel.

I would like to stick with a .270 or possibly a .280 AI. I've got a few 300wm's but I've got 5 daughters who all prefer to shoot the 270 still.

Was this "his" rifle? Does it have sentimental value? I tend to think of those rifles with a piece of wood.

I'd pick a cartridge and intended use and palm from there.

Id add a new barrel and I'd make it a 6.5-284 and put it in a McMillan game scout or game warden.
I did something similar with an old obsolete across the course .308 match rifle. Put a medium palma bead blasted stainless barrel on it, pillar bedded in a AtOne stock by Boyds, with a DBM kit, a Jewell trigger and it is a sweet handling gun. Had it chambered with my match 6.5-284 reamer, so all the ammo I make for my comp guns works in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.