New Rifle question

directtim

Good evening, i am looking at buying a new rifle. It will be used for "Out West" trips as well as trips in Wisconsin and in Texas. Im not sure of i want to spend the money for a full custom rig. I was thinking of maybe a Sendero. Are these rifles ready out of the bos for long range shoots? My skill level is novice. Ive taken shoots out to 450 succesful. Is the Sendero a good choice? Any other options in rifles for about the same money? Whats you opinions on a full custom rig? I know there are several sponser on here that make aboslute wonderful rigs. If you were going to spend the money what kind of rig would you tend to go with? I like the rifles Len has to offer. I know this is his sight but does anyone have any experiences with his equipment? They look very nice and have seen some good reviews. I look forward to hearing from everyone.

As important as the rifle is the choice of cartridge. You mention a variety of hunting conditions. The cartridge that you like and will fit all of the conditions is an important consideration.

Any of the factory offerings in the Sendero class of rifles from Remington or Savage and other manufacturers will serve you well . . . if your luck is good . . . and if you handload and do some tuning.

I feel the advantage of a higher grade rifle such as the one you mention is a better choice due to many factors. Most important factor is consistent quality. Pick one and it will shoot! Next important is that you only spend the money once, unless you are a collector of stuff and enjoy looking at the many rifles in the rack.

Also something to think about is quality scope mounts and scope.

I've found that going high grade is overall less expensive in $ and time. Quicker getting loads selected. Shoots good for a long time. And more robust when much transport is involved.

HTH

Buying a rifle new off the shelf is not the way I would go anymore. There is nothing wrong with that and if your new to the shooting sports and really don't know what you want and don't want to take the time to figure it out its probably the best way to go.

Personally I like to decide on a new caliber then do the research on receivers, barrels etc and acquire all the necessary components myself and finally have my friend and local smith assemble them for me exactly the way I want it done. It's easier on my budget this way and I enjoy the process.

Spend some time figuring out which caliber fits your needs. Good luck on your endeavor.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have some idea of a caliber. I was thinking 300WM in a long action or a 300WSM in a short action. Is that enough rifle for all NA big game? I woudnt mind a larger caliber such as a 300 ultra if a good brake will keep the recoil down. Is the 7Mag a good choice as well. How do idetermine the adequate barrel length? I see what other guys are building but im not sure it that is right for me. If i do a custom build i want to do it right and have one hell of a rifle. Any more ideas gentlemen? Thanks for your relies.

From what you mention the 300WM no brake 26" barrel 1-10 twist #5 contour whatever action and stock meets your fancy. Would finish somewhere between 9 and 12 lbs w/ 20-25 oz scope. Could take everything in North America with class.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts