new deer rifle

i'm looking to buy a new deer rifle for next year. i want a wood stock and blued metal. i'm having trouble trying to decide between a browning a bolt hunter and a winchester 70. also, what about the savage 11? oh yea-i'm left handed
thanks

hey shooter. go with the model 70 in 7mm wsm. Im a south-paw myself and just bought a classic featherweight in 7wsm. I love it and it shoots great. The browning is good, but pricey.

Hey Dakota its me Corey. I think that they kicked me off this forum because i had to register again. i am at my grandma and grandpas. it is saturday night reply back!!!

.300 wsm is good,but doesnt handle the heavier bullets well. If your hunting anything bigger than deer id get the 7mm as it can do pretty much anything the .300 will do. If your hunting is limited to whitetail size animals the .270 wsm is an awesome gun, a real flat shooter too
smile.gif

I would have to diagree with you on that pahunter. i think that the 25-06 would be good. i think it is very flat shooting and a bit less recoil but still has a llot of knockdown power!

hey dakota are you going to be on tommorow? i will be on tommorrow morning. i have to leave in the afternoon. be logged on during the week. about after 6:00. talk to you later.

the 25-06 is great, but neither browning or winchester make a lefty 25-06(not that I know of). I have killed deer with an A bolt medallion in 7mm rem mag and I loved that gun. Ive also killed with my model 70 7wsm and personally I prefer the winchester over the browning. I like the stock on the winchester better. The safety on the winchester is better too(in my opinion anyway). By the way if you do get the browning i suggest you get one without the B.O.S.S. Recoil isnt that bad in any of the 7mm's or the .270 or 25-06, so all it really does it make things loud as hell!!!

shooter_mcgavin, I think the 300 wsm is a great caliber. You can shoot a 168 or 180 and take whatever you want in North America, except maybe a grizzly. Although If I came across one I think the rifle would take him down. I think the ballistics on the 300 WSM are great and the recoil should be ok. If I didn;t already have a 7mm STW, I would definitely go with a 300 WSM.

No way would I buy the browning, stick to the winchester. Keep asking members of this forum, I'm pretty sure most would take the winchester over the browning....You can't go wrong with a winchester or remington.

If I was gonna get me a .300 magnum I'd probally get either the .300 winchester or the .300 weatherby

PaHunter, I have no problem matching the velocity of the US military .300WinMag A191 cartridge with the same 190 gr Sierra Match King, but with my .300WSM and I moly my bullets. Just like the govt tactical rifles, I have a Mike Rock 5R barrel finished at 26".

Also the old WinMag load with the 220 gr Match King at 2650, for which Leupold still has bdc cams available, is easily equaled with WSM handloads in even 24" barrels.

The accuracy from my M70 Classic Stainless .300WSM was not exactly stellar judging by the few factory rounds I fired to test the function before turning it over to my riflesmith along with a barrel and other parts. I believe Savage turns out fewer poor shooting rifles than Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.