Help! 6.5x284 vs 28 Nosler

For what it's worth my first 1000 yd BR rifle was a 6.5 x 284. It erodes the throat .010" per hundred rounds. I sold it with 800 rounds through it with the throat having moved .080". That barrel had maybe 200-400 more rounds of accuracy life, but 1k BR is hard on barrels. I also had a 7mm Rem Mag SS Sendero that moved the throat .040" in 400 rounds in the days when I shot five shot groups in all hunting rifles. I replaced that with a Sendero in 300 Win Mag that had about .020" erosion in 800 rounds but I babied it and only shot three shot groups. My 1K BR rifle in 300 WSM had around 800 rounds through it when I sold it and IIRC it had around .040 of erosion.

Theee is no way around it. The more overbore a chambering is the shorter the barrel life. I know of two possible exceptions. The 7mm STW seems to have better life than the 7mm Rem Mag and the 6mm Rem seems to have better life than the 243 Win. It's thought the short necks of the 7mm RM and the .243 cause more erosion due to the turbulence point being outside the neck.

That's another advantage of the 30s and 33s over the 6.5s and 7s. I used to have a chart to determine the relative overbore-ness of a given chambering to help predict barrel life. Bore diameter squared times 1000 was one ballistics experts idea of the max efficienct case capacity for a given bore size. A .308 bore chambering works about to about 95 grains. I don't know if that formula is gospel on max efficient case capacity, but it does allow us to see the relative bore diameter to case capacity ratio.

A 300 Win has 90 grains of case capacity, making it 94.7% of the theoretical max efficient case capacity. A 338 Edge (116 grains capacity IIRC) is 101.7%. A 300 RUM is about 120%. A 7mm RM is about 100%. A 6.5 x 284 is about 102%. This means a 6.5 x 284 barrel ought to last as long as a 338 Edge barrel and a 7mm RM barrel. A 300 Winny beats them all in barrel life. Now don't take all this as gospel, but it might be a useful general guideline.

All barrel life depends on LOTS of factors.
Load. Barrel. Speed of strings. Cleaning regimen. Luck of the draw. Bullet used. Powder used. Time of year its shot. And probably 100 other factors we don't even comprehend.

I haven't "EXHAUSTIVELY RESEARCHED" the 6.5-284. I have burned probably 15-20 barrels off of various actions using many different powders and barrel makers over the years in the 6.5-284.

1200 is a GENERAL AVERAGE of accuracy loss with it. Some can run further. Some go south at 800. Once again, depends on a MYRIAD of factors that no one can fully explain as there are just too many variables.

Also there is some difference in what people call ACCEPTABLE ACCURACY LOSS. Mine is pretty tight. If a barrel is a hummer and starts cracking I might set it back and get a few more out of it. If it's not.....well I grow tomatoes.

Noslers claim of 1500-1700 for the 28 Nosler should be about as reliable as the BCs on their bullets and the velocity comparison of their cartridges versus cartridges running 20% more powder and yet SUPPOSEDLY running slower than the Nosler round. In other words, absolute complete #*&*(&(*.

The OP asked about getting into LRH. That takes more than 1200 rds to get a working feel for this sport. LRH people are not AVERAGE and anyone who hunts LR and doesn't shoot 1600 rds in a lifetime has absolutely NO BUSINESS doing it. LRH is an unforgiving sport and after 30+ yrs of it and going thru hundreds of barrels, I still learn something new all the time. Kinda like I just learned a 28 Nosler will last 1600 rds LOL.

The 6.5-284 hasn't come on strong at all in the last few yrs. The 6.5-284 came on strong about 1980 LOL. It has been a long range rig since I started LRH 30+ yrs ago. Great round but it isn't MAGIC or SUPERNATURAL.
It is very well researched and has great component availability, many cartridges will do exactly what it does and do it well.

Anyone getting into LRH should PLAN on shooting A LOT. This isn't picking up 1 box of ammo the night before deer season and sighting in with your trucks headlights. If you don't shoot 500 rds a yr AFTER becoming COMPETENT you PROBABLY shouldn't be shooting at anything that bleeds at LR.

It takes 300 rds ON AVERAGE just to find the right load, chrono it sufficiently, play with seating, verify drops and wind, tweak ballistic app and that's not counting any ISSUES that MAY crop up or just getting COMFORTABLE with the rig. Some rigs you MAY find an ACCEPTABLE load quicker but I would guess 300 is a decent AVERAGE for LRH readiness. Maybe I expect more precision than some or maybe I am just an IDJIT and take forever to figure stuff out that the guys who don't shoot 1200 rds in a lifetime can figure out with one box of AMERICAN EAGLE super duper ammo.

Sorry, I still believe my 6.5x284 is "supernatural and magic"

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.