HELP....500-1800yd match load for 300RUM

twoatlow8

So, I already have a 700 Police in 300 RUM and would like to run it in the ELR PRS match in Mills, WY the 1st w.e. in August. Distances will be 500-1800 yds. The rules simply say "30 caliber with a velocity limit of 3200fps". I am looking to draw on the loading and shooting experience of the members here. I am looking for The most efficient target bullet out there that will be stabilized by the factory barrel. Powder, primer and brass recommendations are also welcomed as well. It has a 1.5lb Timney Calvin Elite trigger and a Kahntrol Solutions muzzle brake installed. Box mags would be nice if such a creature exists. The barrel has less than 5 rounds through it.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards, Joe Burdick

230 berger is gonna be the bullet to use with the velocity limit imho. I think with a factory throat that RL 33 is out so maybe h1000 or retumbo somewhere in the low 90 grains will put you over 3100fps. You could probably drop down in bullet weight to hit the 3200fps but for over 1000 the 230 is real nice.

Do you have to mag feed? If not then I use the following. It is a hot load and over book max so use precusion.
300 Rum Sendero
Remington brass full length sized,
federal 215 match magnum primer,
89.4 grains of retumbo,
230 berger OTM,
COL is 3.79.
2940ish fps

Last edited:
I dont have to Mag Feed but it would be nice. Single loading will suck. I shoot a 700 Sendero in .308 in the tactical class for PRS now. I had a great local 'smith inlet the sendero stock for the PT&G bottom metal and use 10rnd Accurate Mags with 4 round extenders on them. I shoot the 308 loaded long and it works smoothly. I would love to just scale this up and keep on keepin on.

As far as the "above book max", so is my 308 load. With the bullets seated out soooo long, it kinda becomes a new case (more volume) and the rules tend to have somewhat different interpretation as to what is "really" the max load. I am NOT a hot rodder, but I will go till I begin to see pressure signs and the dial it back a hair.

Thank you for your reply,
Joe

Berger 230 OTM at 3.670" will fit in the mag of my Sendero
89.9 gr Retumbo gives 2970fps WLRM in Rem brass
Just starting to flatten primers, no ejector marks, work up to it

Hi there , I'm just starting to use a 300 rum as my f class rifle it's a Barnard action with a 30" bartlein tube 1-10 twist I'm loading the 230 vld Berger's in Norma brass over 84.8 gns of h1000 and getting 3030 fps at the muzzle and reasonable groups and it prefers to be seated on the lands but I'm 5thou off em hope it's some help

I would recommend the 230berger as well. I don't have a combo on that since I am currently using the 215. You could definitely try loading them at mag length, but don't be surprised if you have to load them longer to get better consistency. At 1800 yards, everything counts on getting a good accurate load.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.