Help, 338 Edge loads with ELD’s.

MallardAddict

has anyone had much luck with either the 270 eld-x or 285 eld-m from their 338 Edge?

I know most guys are apt to use the 300's and my rifle came with a great load for them but I am looking to set up another load for use under 500yds as I have had questionable performance from both Berger's and SMK's under 500yds.

I have pretty much all of the standard magnum powders, just looking for some start ideas.

I use the 285 exclusively in mine. I've ran rl33 n570 and started testing imr 8133. As always my rifle my loads work up to them. I run 102 grains or rl 33 for 2982 fps. I have tested n570 up to 3100 but was just to find max. Haven't done much with 8133 yet just initial testing. I have been using fed 215 match primers but if I get bored might give cci 250 a try. This is with norma 300 rum brass necked up and a 30" 1:10 twist barrel. I'm also going to be switching to adg brass just haven't had time to load it. These loads have given me .3moa groups. I dont have my notes here so I cant remember how far off the lands I am.

Last edited:
I use the 285 exclusively in mine. I've ran rl33 n570 and started testing imr 8133. As always my rifle my loads work up to them. I run 102 grains or rl 33 for 2982 fps. I have tested n570 up to 3100 but was just to find max. Haven't done much with 8133 yet just initial testing. I have been using fed 215 match primers but if I get bored might give cci 250 a try. This is with norma 300 rum brass necked up and a 30" 1:10 twist barrel. I'm also going to be switching to adg brass just haven't had time to load it. These loads have given me .3moa groups. I dont have my notes here so I cant remember how far off the lands I am.

Any updates on this topic? I'm thinking of giving them a run through my Edge +P chambering.

I havent had any time to work on this for quite a while. The only thing I'll be testing is a primer change which I started but never finished because I started testing adg brass and ended up having to have a sako extractor installed on my rem 700.
With the results I had with 8133 in 270 Sherman and 300 Dakota I'm not going to waste barrel life trying it in the 338.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.