Hells canyon lr 300 prc atip load.

andyanimal31

Gidday,I'm down in Nz and bought the above rifle.
I have a heap of 230 Atips but not that impressed with the accuracy using retumbo with 2 touching and 3rd 2 inches out.
It doesn't group the 212 hornady well either,same thing.
Every thing is ad it should be with an nx8 on top.
Trigger Is a tad heavy but got a new spring coming.
Nice riflebut if it won't shoot no good to me.
Got h1000 and a few other magnum Powders to try.
I'm running fed 210 and hornady oal.
Any ideas?

Not yet, just checking general accuracy potential.
Not showing any yet.
Hornady once fired brass amp annealed graphite and trimmed.
just not used to new rifles doing what it is.
Are they lemons?
I am used to sakos and tikkas that will shoot what ever you feed them

Not all Rifles will shoot whatever you feed them. I personally don't even bother "just picking a load". I start with the OCW method every time.

Consider the target below - look at the variance lower right between .4 grains. BTW, even the .495 group is no good because it is clearly not a node.

Rh3YYOOl.jpg

Had the same thing with a buddy's hells canyon in 300 win. 199 hammers 2 touch one flier. Switched from h1000 to RL 23 and they tighten right up. Same velocity with each powder right at 3000 fps

I had luck with my 300 WM hells canyon 230 A-Tips using IMR 8133 and N570. The A-Tips didn't like close to the lands so I'm a bit off.

Not all Rifles will shoot whatever you feed them. I personally don't even bother "just picking a load". I start with the OCW method every time.

Consider the target below - look at the variance lower right between .4 grains. BTW, even the .495 group is no good because it is clearly not a node.

Rh3YYOOl.jpg
I might have to, just atips down here arnt cheap!

Id double check the rifle first. Make sure something isn't touching when it heats up and all your screws are tight, action and scope stuff.
After that, id consider switching to a Magnum primer to make sure you are getting proper ignition on the powder charge.
After that, I run ladder tests looking for potential nodes for each powder. And go from there.
So far, with 225s, I'm having good luck with LRT. Not done with it yet though

What's your twist rate and loads with Retumbo? Lots of questions for ya, but I'll keep it simple. I have a great load with Retumbo, H1000 and RL26. But my barrel is a good barrel. If it's a shooter it's a shooter.

Whats the velocity as well?

How many rounds down the barrel? Sometimes it takes a few before it settles. But otherwise try the seating depth test then do a OCW test then decide.

It's a 1-8 twist.
I'm shooting 230 atips with fed 215 primers at hornady recommended Col.
First up is retumbo aiming for approx 2800.
Next is h1000.
I get my labradar back this week so will have an idea of velocity as well.
New spring should turn up as well to help sort trigger..
I will know more soon!