Hello all...I'm new and have lots of questions

Lonewolf74

Hey my name is Josh and I'm a native of Wisconsin. I've been hunting and shooting my whole life and archery has always had most of my attention but lately I've had a lot more interest in shooting longer range with rifles. I've recently got all the stuff to reload and just gotta figure out how to use it, I think if I dial in the right loads I can make my bolt .243 a legit 500 yrd varmint rifle and maybe stretch my AR out to 4-500 yrds too with fair accuracy. Then ultimately I want to build a 1000 yrd gun probably in 300 win mag though the new 30 nosler has my attention too I would just give it a year to see if it's all hype or not. So I guess my first question is where should I start? Any advice and tips are appreciated thanks

Get a good reloading manual and read it. Then when you have questions the answers will make more sense.

Welcome to the club.

Steve

Get a good reloading manual and read it. Then when you have questions the answers will make more sense.

Welcome to the club.

Steve

Here's a good one:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/176496/berger-1st-edition-reloading-manual

"Read it" - all of it. Every page. It would probably be OK to scan the load specific pages your first time through (where they'll list different powders, bullet weights and load recommendations) but cover the text very thoroughly.
Then, when you get to the point where you want to focus on a specific caliber, read all of the lead in text information that talks about the history of thay round and its variables.
Adopting those habits will help make you a capable reloader.
Welcome to the vortex we call "Long Range Hunting" .....

Thanks for the input guys so far I have read the speer and hornady reloading manuals. Maybe I should start with just the basics but the stuff I'm really interested in is probably the more advanced stuff like measuring how far off the lands my bullet is seated and where is a good starting point like .01 off the lands, farther, closer? The next is fire forming and just neck sizing, do I have to bump the shoulder every few shots or every shot? How do I set the die so it's just bumping the shoulder? Then with n AR I understand you need to resize every shot for feeding but can you bump the shoulder instead of fully resizing to give sort of a happy medium? As far as all my reloading I'm most interested in better and more consistent accuracy so I'm looking at trying all that will help most with that. All your input is appreciated thanks again guy's

Let this be a warning to you... accuracy is addicting. I hope you don't have too many other hobbies that take your time or money. :)

Let this be a warning to you... accuracy is addicting. I hope you don't have too many other hobbies that take your time or money. :)

Yea that's the one thing I'm worried about I'm pretty busy all the time and the majority of my free time is spent working out or shooting my recurve or hunting. I've had my reloading equipment for 2 months and all I've accomplished is depriming and cleaning a couple hand fulls of cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.