He shoots, he scores! My 2006 Idaho bull.....

wilecoyote76

I know I don't post much but I thought I would post some pics and story of my 2006 Idaho elk hunt. Nothing fancy. I had to borrow a rifle from my brother-in-law and he said no "hot" loads so I was stuck shooting factory 165 grain bullets for his 30-06.

I won't bore you and will get to the details. I saw one spike bull the first day and didn't see a friggin' thing until day #5 of the hunt. Yeah, I was frustrated beyond belief. Others in the area had seen and tagged out on elk but I guess I was always a day late and a dollar short, literally. I finally found where a good group of elk were and was only able to get within 100 yards of a 330-340 bull with about 30 cows and calves. I should have realized I was carrying a rifle instead of a dang bow! A clean, ethical shot never presented itself so I listened to the big bull bugle as he pushed his cows off to the north. I made a plan to go into the same area the next morning from a different direction and see if I couldn't get in on the big boy again on his way back up to the bedding area. My brother and I saw a satellite bull and heard him bugle to get a general direction of where he was going. I knew the bigger bull was somewhere in the area but I didn't want to get greedy. Besides, my "hooves" were sore after hunting hard on foot for 6 days non-stop without success so I decided at that point this bull was good enough for me. He's a 6 point with a busted off sword tine but I could care less! He must have gotten his rear end kicked quite a bit. Half his tines either have chunks missing or broken off from fighting. He's got some sweet whale tails if I do say so myself!

All in all, I had a great time. Mother Nature wasn't so cooperative but there are worse things in life I guess! I'm glad I had my youngest brother there to help me pack this beast out. My old man actually gimped and hobbled his way in to where we were to help pack out the gear. I guess "dads" are good for something every now and then!

Here's me with my 2006 Idaho bull. Not the greatest but I'm happy with it. I would have settled for less that's for sure.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

This is a picture with me and my youngest brother. I owe him big time!

IMG_1532.jpg

Misc. pic of my brother and my bull....

IMG_1512.jpg

We found a few of these blood suckers who had latched on for a free ride! I don't think this tick could have gotten any bigger.

IMG_1533.jpg

Congrats on the bull. Beautiful country.

Still two weeks to wait for elk season to open where I am. I like reading all the stories, but it sure makes it seem to take forever for the season to open up here.

wilecoyote76:

Congratulations on a great bull. From the looks of his rack he's been doing a little fighting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Young brothers, in good shape, come in handy sometimes don't they??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great pics and writeup.

That's a very nice bull, I'd be right happy to get one that size. That tick is definately trophy status too.

Great looking Bull,

I sure would have taken him in heartbeat.

Congratulations,
Vic

Congradulations......... Nice Bull........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all the kudos! It was certainly a fun hunt to be on. Now I can relax and try to fill an antelope tag I drew as well.

IDAHO PREACHER, I was hunting in SE Idaho. My hunt comprised of 6 different units so I didn't see a single other hunter during the duration of the hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.