Have You Ever Used An Annular Cutter?

Pastor Gun.zales

Hello Everyone, I am a hobbyist gun builder (NOT a gunsmith) and my passion is restoring old forgotten firearms. That said, I purchased this Westernfield 72C (Mossberg 472) .30-30 in a lot set and in parts a few months back. I finally have it reassembled and working, and I have decided to stain the wood black, thread the barrel, and probably put a LPVO on it. Who knows, I may even Cerakote it Midnight Blue or Dark Gray.

As the title says, has anyone used an annular cutter or threading kit from Carlonia Shooters or something like them? If so, do you have any tricks or tips? Is it worth it, or should I send it off to my gunsmith?

Annular Cutter Kit

Also, what would you do with this old cheap store model lever gun if it was yours?

image1 (1).jpeg

I would restore it simply the way it was.
I feel ya, and that is what I doe 99.99999% of the time. However, I am not a huge lever gun guy. I have a Henry Big Boy in 44Mag that I love, and a Marlin 336 30/30 that I have never shot lol.

This thing cost me very little, so I'm thinking of going crazy lol.... besides, suppressed lever guns are cool hahahaha

Hello Everyone, I am a hobbyist gun builder (NOT a gunsmith) and my passion is restoring old forgotten firearms. That said, I purchased this Westernfield 72C (Mossberg 472) .30-30 in a lot set and in parts a few months back. I finally have it reassembled and working, and I have decided to stain the wood black, thread the barrel, and probably put a LPVO on it. Who knows, I may even Cerakote it Midnight Blue or Dark Gray.

As the title says, has anyone used an annular cutter or threading kit from Carlonia Shooters or something like them? If so, do you have any tricks or tips? Is it worth it, or should I send it off to my gunsmith?

Annular Cutter Kit

Also, what would you do with this old cheap store model lever gun if it was yours?

View attachment 563795
Depends on how it shoots.
I can't really see the wood but if it has some grain to it i would restore the wood and TruOil it then recrown the barrel and polish the metal and cerekote the metal in gun blue.

Depends on how it shoots.
I can't really see the wood but if it has some grain to it i would restore the wood and TruOil it then recrown the barrel and polish the metal and cerekote the metal in gun blue.
I haven't shot it yet, but I wouldn't expect much accuracy past 150 yards. I'm thinking the wood is probably low quality birch or something similar, that is why I was thinking of going dark. I do like the gun blue cerakote colors, if done correctly, you almost can't tell its Cerakote.

Annular Cutter Kit

View attachment 563795
Leave it the way it is & go hunt. Or join Marlinowners forum & sell it. You may be surprised what you could get for it. I wish you were closer to me to do a FTF. I would possibly take it off your hands if we could come to a agreement on price..

Last edited:
Clean up the wood....have the metal 'case hardened'.....where it takes on all the purples/golds/reds/blues.....
Case Hardening this would be crazy cool!!! If I went that far though, I might as well get a better a pistol grip walnut stock.

Leave it the way it is & go hunt. Or join Marlinowners forum & sell it. You may be surprised what you could get for it. I wish you were closer to me to do a FTF. I would possibly take it off your hands if we could come to a agreement on price..
Living closer would be awesome... Who knows exactly what I will do with this rifle, but if I leave it original I will need to get a front sight! Sell it....hmmmmm... probably never LOL.

Using an annular cutter and die to thread a muzzle for a can is a bad idea...
Chances of getting the barrel OD and threads cut precisely perpendicular to the bore are slim. You could try it and test concentricity with a ground rod after, if it's not right throw a thread protector on it (or a brake with a lot of clearance). You can get away with minor misalignment using a short brake- the alignment's gotta be perfect for much longer cans.

Using an annular cutter and die to thread a muzzle for a can is a bad idea...
Chances of getting the barrel OD and threads cut precisely perpendicular to the bore are slim. You could try it and test concentricity with a ground rod after, if it's not right throw a thread protector on it (or a brake with a lot of clearance). You can get away with minor misalignment using a short brake- the alignment's gotta be perfect for much longer cans.
Thank you, I currently send everything off to a very good friend who threads multiple barrels every week. I trust him and he shoots everything suppressed...EVERYTHING.

I saw these annular cutters, and pondered if they were any good. Many show with guides, but hmmmmm.... do you trust them? Again, thank you for the response.