have canines come to have super powers.

screech

Okay, I was shooting a 22-250 loaded with 50gr. ballistic tips. I have shot a coyote with it at 150yrds dead in the back. It flopped to the ground and then jumped up and waddled off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I decided it was a fluke and went on with my day untill yesterday. shot another coyote with a front shoulder shot and it humped up and started running off like a deer or elk would. another shot into the chest claimed him dead but I was still amazed. Today I shot a yote at 3-400yrds. No time for ranging. and it looked like it flopped over into the ditch beside it and I assumed it was dead. went out there and found a pool of blood and no coyote. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It was in a huge field so I didn't think it could escape without being seen. Of course i didn't think it was going anywhere anytime soon either. This is the same load I used last year with good results on ground squirles and rock chucks. I cant figure it out. Untill I do I switched over to a 7stw shooting 162gr. amaxes. Do you guys have any ideas. Anyone else having this problem this year or am I just doing something wrong.

Hmmm,

Yotes are one tough animal. But a good shot will put 'em down instantly.

Example is a texas heart shot though to the vitals with a Hornet at 70 yds. Amazing that it was instantly put down.

Another example. 270 Win/140 Hor Interlock, broad side standing @ 70 yds. Hit a bit high just ahead of the last rib. Yote instantly whirled and ran the opposite direction at mach II. My jaw dropped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Was too amazed to get off another shot, he was in full view the whole time. At the end of 70 yds he ran out of blood and literally flopped end over end to a stop. If that artery or vein wouldn't have been hit he'd still be alive.

Example: Perfect boiler room shot w/222 REM/55gr bullet @ 300 + yards; bang flop.

Who knows what the deal is. They are just tough.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I was shooting a 22-250 loaded with 50gr. ballistic tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew what was coming after your first line.

You need a little tougher bullet for coyote work. The ballistic tip will work sometimes, other times it will splash on the surface and you have a wounded yote. If you slow down a ballistic tip below 2800 fps they will hold up better, but then you are losing the advantages of a 22-250.

Some hunters don't care, but if you are looking for better terminal ballistics then there are a couple of bullets I would recommend. The Sierra 55 grain GAMEKING, or the Hornady 52 gr. A-max, with the on game performance edge going to the Gameking. The accuracy edge going to the A-max.

Jim

WoW, it sounds like you had a bad day to say the least.
Yotes are tough, but I to have sent a many a pup to meet their maker via 50gr Blitz King in a 22/250. Just dosent make alot of sense. Try abit heavier bullet or cartridge all together. The 6mmRem with a 87grn VMAX @3250 is my yote popper of choice.

I would say your just not getting the bullet into anything, its just exploding. I would try a 55g bullet and that should solve your problems. However, I've shot plenty of yotes with my .222 rem w/40g bullets and haven't lost one yet...You would think a 50g out of 22-250 would be good yote medicine. Maybe your dogs have something in there water /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeah, I know they blow up I just thought that a coyote hit with one was done. Hell remington 25-06 kills them with a 40gr.vmax. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I dont know what it is but the only yote I have ever shot that just ate [censored] was with a 300rum. I didn't think remington designed the round for coyotes but I am thinking that if the 7mmstw dosen't put them down then I will have to move back to ultra mag. If that dont work then 338-378imp will be brought up. I dont know where to go if that dont work. I have seen deer die with a 22-250 but they were shooting off the counter runner soft points. After I thin a few out with the stw maybe I'll load up some different bullets for the 22-250.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know they blow up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Screech, I am not trying to flame you by any means, but didn't your experience with those yotes do an excellent job of supporting your opinion? What you "know" was correct.

[ QUOTE ]
After I thin a few out with the stw maybe I'll load up some different bullets for the 22-250.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the different bullets in your '250, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know they blow up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Screech, I am not trying to flame you by any means, but didn't your experience with those yotes do an excellent job of supporting your opinion? What you "know" was correct.

[ QUOTE ]
After I thin a few out with the stw maybe I'll load up some different bullets for the 22-250.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the different bullets in your '250, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Screech,

That post doesn't sound like it did last night, and time has expired for me to edit or delete it.

I have had blow ups on coyote and changed bullets and no more problems.

I will shut up now.....(embarrassed)

Jim

thanks. For now while there out heavy I will just use another gun instead of having to use my time building up another load.

Wish I could say that screech! I'm always the opposite, "nah I cant go, I gotta work up a load for this rifle first." Ha ha, your STW w/162g AMAX will rip em a new one. Dont think you'll need to bring out the 378imp. BTW- Was looking on the map and noticed Riggins isn't all that far from Hermiston. Maybe one of these days we could get together for some LR practice. Good luck on the yotes!

I saw a picture of a yote that was shot w/a 300rum w/a 125gr nos bt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

55gr bullets do seem to do real well.I shoot the sierra blitzkings and they smoke'm pretty good.

Screech you don't recon the yotes have mated w/wuffs do ya? I mean these yotes didn't weigh in at 90lbs did they /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

yeah for sure. I can always use practice. We dont have much to kill here other than coyotes and a few rock chucks in the spring. even then you have to drive towards council cambridge area to get them. How bout Hermingston? Lots of chucks there?

Ol'Mike, We have quite a few wolves around where I hunt coyotes actually. That is a big dog. I have seen 3. If they were mixes or pure bred I wont tell you. Im pretty sure that they were yotes thouh. If not the wolf is just becoming more indangered. No there is no coincedence between 3 yotes and 3 wolves.

here is a picture of a coyote that my dad shot at 400 yards with a 7mm remington mag thought for sure he was dead but we were wrong. this picture is of the exit wound while he is still alive he didn't go anywhere but i know what you mean about super powers after seeing this
1217Michael_s_Elk_Hunt_019_1-med.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.