You Have Got To Be Kidding

W

*WyoWhisper*

I'm watching ESPN2 Wildlife quest.. hoky idiots huting whitetail in archery season with not camo on hands or face.. doh!!!

anyway.....

this comercial for a Rem 710 comes on....

guys resting on a coat or bag or something and takes a shot or 2 his goober buddy is next to him with a pare of bino's and says "that things only been bore sighted" they guy shooting say "yup..." then the goober with bino's say "expensive huh".. and the guy shooting, shoots another shot... ( cut away to target ) 3 shots into about 1.5"..then the guys shooting replys and says "nope"

now if I were a po-dunk back woods SHORT RANGE deer hunter .. much like the guys in 24 hour camp fire and other boards.. that comercials says.....

buy this rifle bore sight it and go hunting!!!

HOLY ****.. No wonder we have so many wounded animals and anti's...

WHAT THE HELL in Remington thinking??????

They arent thinking thats the problem...

How many of the marketing and advertising types for any particular product actually use any of the products....

'Squatch

Methinks they're thinking of putting a cheaper rifle into the market to increase access to the sport for low income blue collar types. At the risk of sounding absurd, they have succeeded to some degree.

Couple of years back when the gun was first introduced, a coworker inquired about what would get him into the woods of S. Carolina and I suggested a 710 in 30-06, with the proviso that he ditch the scope and put a better piece of glass on top. Wound up with a Leupold vari-x 2 3x9 and the gun shot 1.5" groups right out of the box with 3 varieties of ammo. After a few minutes he was putting those groups about 2" above POA. Not long range stuff but he's bagged about a dozen deer with it to date. It's cheap, it's reasonably accurate and the targeted market segment is not noted for vast amounts of deep thought on the subject of shooting or ballistics. Pickups on the other hand...
grin.gif

Wyo, I don't read the commercial as suggesting that the gun only be bore sighted, FWIW. Maybe I filtered something out? I'm getting way too good at filtering as years go by.
wink.gif

My 13 year old nephew killed his second elk, and first buck with a 710 Model 710 in .270 Win. Shoots 140 Accubonds I loaded up for it and has never missed when shooting at an animal to the best of my knowldedge.
I am trying to get the recovered bullet weights from the Accubonds that killed the elk. Mushrooms were perfect though.

Max some of the cheapest A-HOLES out thre are people that "GOT" MONEY. They do not invest into guns and the like. Some blue collar guys i know have good guns. They appreciate nice weapons,treasure the ones they have. Most, not all ,docors,lawyers and chiefs,do not appreciate,a well oiled model 70 30-06 [pre-64].

I have not seen the commercial that started this thread, but here are my thoughts.

It is pure idiocy to think or promote shooting with a rifle only bore sighted. I have never seen a bore sighted rifle that was actually sighted in. I think that was WyoWhispers point.

For those that are bashing a rifle that is perfectly fine for short range or hunters on a limited income, I guess I don't care for that type of snob thinking. It is the same lack of acceptance that gets long range hunters flamed on other forums. Just because it does not meet the needs of your kind of hunting, does not make it wrong or bad.

OPPS.
I guess my joking was taken the wrong way.
BUT then again you have to have a sence of humor in the shooting game or Murphy will have you for lunch.
IF I offened any one I'm sorry you feel that way. Shoot what you can afford. Every shooter has a pride and joy. One of mine is an OLD 303 Britsh that probibly isn't worth 200$ but I wouldn't give it up for 2 Billion Dollars. To the person who took the ELK Good on ya! You have done some thing I hope to do some day. We all are sports men some light harted ribbing keeps us sharp as long as we don't take it to hart.
God Bless and take care.

[ 11-15-2003: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

[ 11-15-2003: Message edited by: baldeagle713 ]

Sorry Baldeagle. No offense taken, maybe I am a bit sensitive about it.
The nephew I am talking about is in a unique situation. My brother is one of those types with more kids than most - 8, and not much extra cash to spoil them with. Two days before his deer season (October 30th), my nephews room caught on fire. All his personal stuff was burned beyond use except his rifle (a 710) which was in the truck at the time. He was happy to have that one thing he treasures survive the fire since he had worked so hard to get it.
Since then I have given him my extra stuff I had set aside for when my kids are old enough (Daypack, binoculars, gore-tex, sleeping bag and such), but his love of that cheap old 710 makes me re-think the attitude we take toward my rifles.
Maybe ought to start a thread on rifles we love just because...

Flick, I hear you on that one. Maybe Quiet Hunter said it best.
I don't own one of those 'mater stakes myself but most do not have the means to reach into the more esoteric levels of this sport. Fewer still have delved into the world of firearms to the point that they realize there are pieces out there worth far more than their value as a shooter. In the world of this web site, it doesn't take a big camp fire to keep everybody warm here either.
JMO, and by the way, I have green socks.
wink.gif

I finally saw this commercial. I must have missed something though. I thought that they said that the rifle came from Remington already bore sighted. Isn't this the same thing Savage, and I believe Thompson Center, do on their gun packages? Anyone buying an entry level gun probably doesn't have the tools and knowledge or experience to bore sight a gun. And it shows these two guys, not hunting, but at the range sighting in. Isn't that what they are supposed to do?

It looks like somebody at Remington woke up and found Savage eating their lunch and decided to go toe to toe with them. They are making an entry level gun that will satisfy the needs / wants of a lot of folks that aren't too demanding of their firearms.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.