Has someone tried the Leica LRF 800?

Hello
One other option might be a newcon 1500 http://www.newcon-optik.com/ I dont know any thing about them just found them looking for Lieca. I have been waiting to see how people like the 1200. The newcon is made in Germany and imported to Canada one site said 1500 M but most say 1500 YD. any body have first hand Info?

Hello again

Follow up today on the 1200 Leica.

At shorter ranges from 100 to 600 and 700 yards, it seems to work pretty good even in the sunlight.
It returned a reading at 1053 Yards from a large hemlock tree, in the sun, across the mountain. Only problem was, I hit the button 20 times before it was able to come back with a reading and only "ONE" time did it do so.
At various yardages I have had to take several readings on the SAME target before it will come back with a yardage reading.
I see why they recommend a backup battery.

Thats what I have found with the new Leica 1200 and I will be sending it back today. Not because I don't think it is a decent unit but, I have the military unit that is the Cadillac of lasers and will range first time EVERY time in any conditions out to 12 Miles.

As stated before, for the average hunter and medium LR hunter it would probably work fine "IF" you have the correct sky conditions.
At $400.00 this fellow (Alex) will sell quite a few of them, I have a feeling.

Darryl Cassel

I don't know about you guys, but I'm starting to get REALLY interested in that Newcon LRB 7X50. Here's what somebody at HA said about it:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Here is my experience for what it is worth. When you buy a range finder, you usually have to take the maximum value it indicates and assume you can get that range only on very reflective objects when the sun is behind the clouds or near dusk or dawn. A light at night also works at that range. For the real world of hunting and ranging on game, take 60% of the number for cloudy days and 45% of the number for bright sunny days.

I have been using my Bushnell 1000 for over a year hunting varmints. I like sunny days and usually am left without a range on varmints beyond around 450 yards. My buddy has an 800 yard model and he does worse than I do with mine. I have heard that the Leica 800, which incidently is 800 meters, does considerably better than my estimates above but I have never used one.

I just purchased an LRB 7x50 Laser Range Finder binocular (not cheap; around $750.00) but it is rated at 1500 meters and delivers everything I need. Walking around, it is great for both spotting and ranging in one deivce; I used to get bleary eyed alternating between scope and monocular range finder for a half days worth of hunting. Using these binocs and only using the scope when shooting, I have no vision problems. I have used it three times for my long range hunting from a bench and have gotten ranges on varmints well beyond 1000 yards with regularity. When the distances get longer, I can range nearby trees/fence posts/large rocks/white rocks and get out to 1200 yards or more even on a sunny day. I have ranged a road sign at 1650 yards and bushy trees at 1500 yards. Where I hunt, the miniumu shot is 625 yards and my Bushnell is useless until it is almost dark. We were dependant on my partners Russian Military laser range finder which is very expensive, big and can blind you. Since I got my LRB, we have not had to get his out and have killed groundhods out to 1150 yards.

The company that makes these also makes small monocular range finders listed at 1200 and 1500 meters for similar money to the Bushnells and Leicas. I have not tried them but if the laser range finder is the same as the one in the LRB 7x50, it would beat the pants off the others. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was originally planning on getting a Nikon or Bushnell 800 but that's back when I thought they'd be reliable to 800 yds. I've found the LRB's priced at $630 which isn't a whole lot more that the monocular ones.

I think having them built into binoculars would be such a huge advantage as well. I need a good pair of binoculars anyway.... The cheapest ones I had heard of before were the Leicas at around $2000 which is way more than I can spend. I don't know if these are as good or not, but it sounds like they'll beat the pants off the smaller monocular types.

Feel like giving these a test for us Darryl?
wink.gif

Hello
I certainly would test them if the company would send me one for that purpose. It would be a fair and honest test, I might add.

As far as the statement " the Russians will blind you", that's misleading. True they are not eye safe if you zap someone at close range in the eyes and they are looking straight into the laser beam. This don't happen.
If one was to turn the unit around and look in the wrong end and then hit the button, he might have some eye damage. Most people won't do such a thing though.

That powerful laser is like your rifle, you must operate both with equal respect and safety in mind.

I know of NO one who has been blinded by any Russian laser or any military portable laser rangefinder unless it was in war time.

The performance of the Russian units are unbeatable by ANY unit I have ever seen, tried or owned and well worth the money spent on them.

You can't really put a price tag on the performance you want and need in this ultra long-range sport.

Darryl
smile.gif
smile.gif

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

I have been using the 7x42 Geovid's for 3 years now, same battery too. They are excellent, will even work in the middle of the night and read a Eagle flying in the air at 500 yards (day light) Have ranged as far as 1000 yards on "popular" trees and 1300 yards on a metal building. Not real accurate tho when using in heavy rain,snow,or fog at over 350 yrds.

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: Coyote Hunter ]

New to this board... but have a 1200 Leica and love it... out 1000meters no problem and at the mid range no problem with reflection. Traded my 800 Leica to get these and don't regret it at all. They are identical in weight and appearance and the optics are superb... I quite often pack just the Range finders and leave bino behind. Just my 2 cents worth (1 US)

Good to know that information on the Leica's. However compared to the other laser range finders (in that class i.e. Bushnell and a few others) what was your assement?

Dave.

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: daveosok ]

Darryl,
This is why the Leica 1200 are so cheap in price, just like any thing else.
Good report you did on them. Have you ever tested the Geovid's before?

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.