Handheld Thermal scanner advice

For Fox out to 700 yards you're gonna do best with a 12 micron 4x native zoom and minimal 35mm lens hand held. In my opinion they are incredible for long range spotting but when you get within 200 yards you'll be sitting right on top of the critter. If you plan on shooting out that far get an auto focus 6x native zoom scope, 50mm lens and you could probably get away with 17 micron but would be best to use 12 micron. In saying all that. This isn't a cheap ballpark equipment. But honest field review.

Yup. Got the tripod covered. Makes a big difference.

Other than ATN being what they are, is there a brand or brands that stand behind their products more so than others?

I'm definitely back and forth on how much to spend. More and more jackasses are getting into this around here so permission on multiple properties is becoming an issue. Plus I'm lucky to go 2 nights a week mid Jan through March. Right now my county is the only county that allows year round night hunting. Everything else ends in January. Hopefully that never changes but you never know anymore. Just gets to a point where I'm asking is $6-8k in optics really worth it to shoot 20-30 foxes a year. But when it's fun it's as fun as anything for me

Last edited:
Bearing Optics 640 for the scanner then Pulsar XQ50 on a .223 with surefire suppressor. A quality tri pod like a RRS is essential for accurate shooting. It's not as easy as it looks!
Scanning with a GOOD THERMAL and then having a VERY GOOD NV OR THERMAL SCOPE ON YOUR GOOD RIFLE is an experience all in its own.
I LOVE IT!

Last edited:
I've been looking over a lot of units but I'm having a hard time talking myself out of the Scout III.

The Pulsar XG35 has a lot of cool features but I think the Flir has a better sensor and that's what's most important.

Flir - 640 x 512 sensor 7.5-13.5µm $1800
Pulsar - 384 x 288 sensor 17µm $2000

I've been looking over a lot of units but I'm having a hard time talking myself out of the Scout III.

The Pulsar XG35 has a lot of cool features but I think the Flir has a better sensor and that's what's most important.

Flir - 640 x 512 sensor 7.5-13.5µm $1800
Pulsar - 384 x 288 sensor 17µm $2000
We paid $2,500 for our Scout III, but that was when they first came out,
Take a look at their refresh rate also 640 X 512

Last edited:
Well I thought it was a scam for sure but found one for $1299. Double checked part number and everything. Claims to be here Thursday. Thanks for all the help. With any luck I'll probably be back here this time next year looking for advice on a scope. Just going to continue running the light for kills right now.

Well I thought it was a scam for sure but found one for $1299. Double checked part number and everything. Claims to be here Thursday. Thanks for all the help. With any luck I'll probably be back here this time next year looking for advice on a scope. Just going to continue running the light for kills right now.
Let us know how you like it!

I found mine on adorama camera for $1299. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Got tracking but I still think it's a scam.

Last edited:
I found mine on adorama camera for $1299. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Got tracking but I still think it's a scam.
I bought some camera stuff from Adorama before. I was skeptical at first when I called them for two reasons; based in NY, South Asian guy with a heavy accent answered the call. But, transaction was legit. Then again that was over a decade ago

Yeah, in this internet age its hard for me to believe that I can get the same unit $6-800 cheaper than anywhere else without a discount code, or black Friday bs, etc. I specifically checked the sku and mpn so if it's not what I ordered I'll be sending it back. My guess is they advertised it as the 640 and it's actually a 320. We'll see