Handheld Thermal scanner advice

I have the axion xq35 with the rangefinder and really like it. It seems it has a little bit better resolution than my thermion riflescope. I have a hard time judging distance with the thermal so I opted for the LRF viewer. Makes scanning a lot easier.

Thanks for the heads up on the Scout III deal, I picked one up too.

Haven't had it out in the field yet, but I'm very impressed just playing with it in the neighborhood.

Had it outside quite a few times so far. Going to work really well for what I want to do with it. Easily detect deer with it out to 6-700. Haven't been fox hunting yet.

If it had a better charging cable and external memory that you could save video to it would really be an awesome unit.

Can't wait until I can something to go on my gun as well.

Had it outside quite a few times so far. Going to work really well for what I want to do with it. Easily detect deer with it out to 6-700. Haven't been fox hunting yet.

If it had a better charging cable and external memory that you could save video to it would really be an awesome unit.

Can't wait until I can something to go on my gun as well.
The battery lasts a fair amount of time. We had our Scout III since they came out to the US Market and still last for as long as a night hunt.
I always carry a power pack with me for any electronics I use and can charge the Scout if needed. There are plenty of replacement USB cables really inexpensive.
Would be nice to have a memory card to record, but I just use it to detect animals then switch over to NV. There are plenty of Thermal Scopes with video capability.
Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
I can't geek out on this stuff. I just want equipment that works. After talking to guys that use their stuff harder than I do I bought a thermal scope (xq50 I think, new at the time) then after one night hog hunting knew I was buying a handheld scanner. Got another pulsar don't remember the model but it has built in laser rangefinder. Around the $3000 mark. Image quality with it is not as good as the scope but it serves its purpose well. I would find a local dealer and see if they have knowledgeable staff. That's worked well for me and their prices have been better than online outlets.

I bought some camera stuff from Adorama before. I was skeptical at first when I called them for two reasons; based in NY, South Asian guy with a heavy accent answered the call. But, transaction was legit. Then again that was over a decade ago
Just being based in NY doesn't make it a scam!!!! There's much more to this beautiful state than politics scammers and skyscrapers!!!!!! Weird all three are always somehow related huh!!!!!

I don't but it looks like a nice unit. I'm thinking about the Rico Alpha for my first scope in another year or 2.

Recent Posts