Hammer Safari Sept 2022

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Hey guys, we are headed out on Safari to South Africa starting Sept 2nd and returning Sept 15th. It is our busy time of year, so I wanted to give a heads up, if you are needing bullets for hunting soon, get your order in now and we will get them out before we go. After we get back it will take us a few days to catch up on the orders and we will be back to normal getting orders out as they come in.

Now that the business is done, let's talk about what we are doing with the Safari. There will be nine of us going on this trip and all of us will be hunting. This trip we set up as a couples trip so we could bring our wives. Going on this trip will be my wife Jill and I, Brian, his wife, Steph, and daughter Grace, Eric (works in the shop and is our gunsmith), and his wife Rayne, Kelsey (my daughter) and her new husband Tanner. We gave Tanner and Kelsey this trip as a wedding gift last summer. The rifles going on this trip are as follows. I am taking a 22" barrel 9" twist 30-06 running suppressed with the 137g Hammer Hunter at 3300 fps. Jill will be shooting a 6.5 Creed 20" barrel 8" twist suppressed with the 85g Hammer Hunter at 3540 fps. Brian is taking a 416 Wby 24" barrel 14" twist running a new 303g Power Hammer at a comfortable 3100 fps. His 2nd rifle will be a 6mm-284 27" barrel 6" twist running the 88g Hammer Hunter at 3620 fps. Steph will be running 6.5x284 22" barrel 7.5" twist, suppressed running the 110g Hammer Hunter at 3340 fps. Grace is taking a 270 Sherman Short with 24" barrel 8" twist suppressed, running the 126g Hammer Hunter at 3200 fps. Eric a 30-06 24" barrel 10" twist running the 150 Power Hammer at 3100 fps. Rayne is running a 300 wm with 24" barrel 10" twist running the 166g Hammer Hunter at 3300 fps. Kelsey is taking the 280ai 22" barrel 8" twist running the 140g Absolute Hammer at 3320 fps. Tanner is taking a classic German built 300 Wby running the 124g Hammer Hunter at 3825 fps and his new custom 300 rum 26" barrel 9"-8" gain twist with the 199g Hammer Hunter at 3350 fps.

Rifles all loaded up and ready to go and then we gotta throw a little curve ball. We have a new bullet design that is now proven in gel and desperately needs animal testing. Some of these rifles are going to get some last minute load development and drop testing so we can get real terminal results. There is no substitute for animal testing! Fingers crossed! I intend to try and update this thread daily with on game results, while we are there.

Hey guys, we are headed out on Safari to South Africa starting Sept 2nd and returning Sept 15th. It is our busy time of year, so I wanted to give a heads up, if you are needing bullets for hunting soon, get your order in now and we will get them out before we go. After we get back it will take us a few days to catch up on the orders and we will be back to normal getting orders out as they come in.

Now that the business is done, let's talk about what we are doing with the Safari. There will be nine of us going on this trip and all of us will be hunting. This trip we set up as a couples trip so we could bring our wives. Going on this trip will be my wife Jill and I, Brian, his wife, Steph, and daughter Grace, Eric (works in the shop and is our gunsmith), and his wife Rayne, Kelsey (my daughter) and her new husband Tanner. We gave Tanner and Kelsey this trip as a wedding gift last summer. The rifles going on this trip are as follows. I am taking a 22" barrel 9" twist 30-06 running suppressed with the 137g Hammer Hunter at 3300 fps. Jill will be shooting a 6.5 Creed 20" barrel 8" twist suppressed with the 85g Hammer Hunter at 3540 fps. Brian is taking a 416 Wby 24" barrel 14" twist running a new 303g Power Hammer at a comfortable 3100 fps. His 2nd rifle will be a 6mm-284 27" barrel 6" twist running the 88g Hammer Hunter at 3620 fps. Steph will be running 6.5x284 22" barrel 7.5" twist, suppressed running the 110g Hammer Hunter at 3340 fps. Grace is taking a 270 Sherman Short with 24" barrel 8" twist suppressed, running the 126g Hammer Hunter at 3200 fps. Eric a 30-06 24" barrel 10" twist running the 150 Power Hammer at 3100 fps. Rayne is running a 300 wm with 24" barrel 10" twist running the 166g Hammer Hunter at 3300 fps. Kelsey is taking the 280ai 22" barrel 8" twist running the 140g Absolute Hammer at 3320 fps. Tanner is taking a classic German built 300 Wby running the 124g Hammer Hunter at 3825 fps and his new custom 300 rum 26" barrel 9"-8" gain twist with the 199g Hammer Hunter at 3350 fps.

Rifles all loaded up and ready to go and then we gotta throw a little curve ball. We have a new bullet design that is now proven in gel and desperately needs animal testing. Some of these rifles are going to get some last minute load development and drop testing so we can get real terminal results. There is no substitute for animal testing! Fingers crossed! I intend to try and update this thread daily with on game results, while we are there.
Long time luker; new poster. Great post. Question: What are specs on the 416 Wby build? That caliber is one I have been interested in for a while. Thanks and have a great hunt!

Long time luker; new poster. Great post. Question: What are specs on the 416 Wby build? That caliber is one I have been interested in for a while. Thanks and have a great hunt!
It is a saami reamer with a Wilson barrel at 24", on a Kelbly Prometheus action. It is wearing a vx3 HD 1.5-5x20 scope in some rings we had laying around. Not sure what they are. Right now it is in on old McMillan stock we had laying around. It is going into a beautiful grade A walnut stock that is out getting checkered right now. Rifle only has about 15 shots through it and it was a bit tight on pressure signs. Thinking this barrel will slick up a bit and we should be able to get to 3200 fps plus without any trouble with the 303g bullet that we have in it now. This is a prototype bullet in the Power Hammer design. We may also try a new dangerous game design that we have in mind. Will be a game time decision.