Hammer load...HELP!

I would try the 109 gr absolute , with H4350 , start .025 too .030 from lands . I usually seat around the 2 nd drive band . With the absolute you won't touch lands anyway . I get 3728 fps with my 6.5 prc the 6.5x55 should get 3100 fps plus with that bullet . My go too load use too be 47 grs of H4350 with a 125 gr Nosler Partition cci250 , at 3000 fps from my 6.5x55

I doubt the 109 is that much longer than the 99, I would never get close to .030 from the lands. With the 99 at the lands the bullet is basically out of the casing.

A bunch of good and helpful advice already and I'll echo the crimp part. I was having issues with the 151 AH in a 22" 30-06. Velocities were good (3215 avg) but groups were around 2 moa. Used the advice on here to seat to the top "ring" and put a medium crimp on with a Lee crimp die. Groups dropped to around 3/4 moa out to 500.

I wouldn't waste anymore components on it honestly. 6" group is HUGE. Even 2.5" is. I can't imagine tuning another 2 MOA of that load. I'd personally just try a different bullet or cartridge that is known to shoot specific hammers extremely well. I just shot 125, 181 Hammers trying to get them from .75 to .5 and better velocities. But if they'd have shot 2.5" out of the gate, I would have scrapped the whole thing from the get go. Sounds like your gun doesn't just not like that bullet... it hates it lol.

You've probably already done this but have you gone through the gun? Action screws torqued correctly. Scope mounting apparatus tight. No weirdness in the barrel channel. Nothing wrong with the scope like a loose reticle or turret that's messed up. I am not trying to be a wisenheimer. It seems like the gun is pretty new and maybe you are making assumptions it was perfect but something was missed.

I would bet with the longer throat on a 6.5x55, you will need a longer bullet, if memory serves, I believe the throat is about .55" long. Sounds like there is a significant portion where the bullet is out of the case, but not yet engaging any portion of the barrel. Blow by/turbulence is probably causing problems. Steve is a good guy, if you talk to him about it he may swap you some bullets. I know they won't be as light/fast as the 99's would be, but at least they may shoot sub MOT (minute of truck) lol.

What do you mean the bullet shoulder? Like even deeper than the drive bands?
Case length plus bullet nose length (.640).

DDBC73F0-039E-4E33-87D8-343A930EFE77.jpeg

I say seat them in the top PDR groove and a decent crimp 1 or 2 grains below pressure before throwing in the towel. Almost all the shank is in the neck that way.

I believe the throat is about .55" long. Sounds like there is a significant portion where the bullet is out of the case, but not yet engaging any portion of the barrel. Blow by/turbulence is probably causing problems.
If I understand this you are suggesting that the gas from the detonating powder is passing the bullet in the throat? I don't think that can happen. Especially with a crimp. I think that when the pressure finally moved the bullet it would jump to the rifling very quickly and the expanding gas from combustion would slow down to fill the space left where the bullet was. That's just the way I see it.

I wouldn't waste anymore components on it honestly. 6" group is HUGE. Even 2.5" is. I can't imagine tuning another 2 MOA of that load. I'd personally just try a different bullet or cartridge that is known to shoot specific hammers extremely well. I just shot 125, 181 Hammers trying to get them from .75 to .5 and better velocities. But if they'd have shot 2.5" out of the gate, I would have scrapped the whole thing from the get go. Sounds like your gun doesn't just not like that bullet... it hates it lol.
Well that is an option. I believe the OP could send the bullets back for a refund. I think they do have one. But it's hard to get bullets so yeah, it's a difficult choice. At a 6moa group I'd lean towards a different load or even rifle.

If I understand this you are suggesting that the gas from the detonating powder is passing the bullet in the throat? I don't think that can happen. Especially with a crimp. I think that when the pressure finally moved the bullet it would jump to the rifling very quickly and the expanding gas from combustion would slow down to fill the space left where the bullet was. That's just the way I see it.
It will happen, the crimp on the neck of the brass case is not going to contain 60k psi. The neck expands from pressure for one, and there is a portion where the crimp is of zero significance because the bullet is neither in the neck nor in the rifling, and the throat is over bullet diameter, usually by about a thousandth or more depending on the reamer design. Expanding gasses will go around the bullet. Very knowledgeable people such as Kirby Allen even note this as an occurrence.

Sometimes it might matter, often times it probably doesn't. Light bullets in long Weatherby throats may be an example of it not mattering. I'm not certain if it is what is affecting his accuracy so badly, it could be many things, but it does happen. Hopefully he can get it figured out though, and either get them shooting or switch bullets to something that will!

Well that is an option. I believe the OP could send the bullets back for a refund. I think they do have one. But it's hard to get bullets so yeah, it's a difficult choice. At a 6moa group I'd lean towards a different load or even rifle.
I wouldn't think it was the rifle as it was shooting factory ammo into 1.5" groups (not great, but better than he got with any of the hammer reloads), unless something maybe worked loose in that time......scope mount, action screws, and so on.....

I wouldn't think it was the rifle as it was shooting factory ammo into 1.5" groups (not great, but better than he got with any of the hammer reloads), unless something maybe worked loose in that time......scope mount, action screws, and so on.....
I pm'd you and the OP.