Hammer load...HELP!

I think there might be something to the long throat and blow by. Not sure though. @GLTaylor had issues with this in a 7 rum trying to run little bullets. I didn't think his issue showed up till he was hitting close to 4k fps.

Right now I am leaning to powder or primers. We had a rifle a couple of years ago that was shooting 6" at 200y with what appeared to be a very nice load. We swapped to a diff primer and took it to 1".

Not sure what powder you have, but I think Varget would be a great bet. Start at 39g and work up. If this is a modern action you should be able to get to 3300 fps nicely. Old, 3200 fps. Varget is a great powder for this size cartridge with the Hammers. Don't remember what primer you are running, but a mag primer would probably be good.
I don't have Varget unfortunately. I have a couple others to try and other primers. I'm using wolf LR right now but will switch the magnums. I won't make it out till tomorrow but I'm not giving up yet.
@Eric H, Respectfully, many of us run the Hammer's at SG's much higher than that with repeatable positive results. To the point we are now purposefully seeking SG's above 2. I'm not saying another bullet won't work better, but I don't think in this case SG is the issue. Twist not measuring quite what is stamped in both custom, and factory barrels has been more of an issue. @adam32+P call @ButterBean, or the shop, I think it will relieve some of the stress. [/QUOTE
@Eric H, Respectfully, many of us run the Hammer's at SG's much higher than that with repeatable positive results. To the point we are now purposefully seeking SG's above 2. I'm not saying another bullet won't work better, but I don't think in this case SG is the issue. Twist not measuring quite what is stamped in both custom, and factory barrels has been more of an issue. @adam32+P call @ButterBean, or the shop, I think it will relieve some of the stress.
I don't have Varget unfortunately. I have a couple others to try and other primers. I'm using wolf LR right now but will switch the magnums. I won't make it out till tomorrow but I'm not giving up yet.
So too speak I cut my teeth , loading for the 6.5x55 I have loaded from 100 gr bullets and up and all were accurate from military barrels too match grade barrels I have never seen or experienced the problem your having , it could be one or more things going on . Too eliminate the powder issue use H4350 , that powder will work in the 6.5x55 I have also heard that Norma probably loads N560 in there factory ammo for the 6.5x55 if you don't have those powders try and match the burn rate as close as possible. Even if the hammer bullet you are loading isn't exactly the right bullet for that cartridge you still should have better accuracy than what you are experiencing. I have a proven load H4350 47 grs 125 gr Nosler Partition cci 250 23 in barrel 3000 fps , that charge should work well with the 124 gr Hammer and a good starter with the 109 and 123 gr absolute. Of coarse start low work up . Good luck my curiosity is up on what the problem is , I like challenges wish I had the rifle too figure it out.

Back out today with 5 different loads of 3 each...IMR4895, bullet at the first drive band and crimped proved to be the best...right at MOA on a hot day. Speeds were 3341, 3325, 3338. So plenty fast and an acceptable ES.

I could get another 100fps with the OAL longer and a little more powder but groups went to 4 inches. Primer change didn't help unfortunately.

MOA is honestly probably all this rifle is capable of, it'll be plenty good for a 300yd rifle which is all I'll be using it for.

IMG_20220807_092931852.jpg

Back out today with 5 different loads of 3 each...IMR4895, bullet at the first drive band and crimped proved to be the best...right at MOA on a hot day. Speeds were 3341, 3325, 3338. So plenty fast and an acceptable ES.

I could get another 100fps with the OAL longer and a little more powder but groups went to 4 inches. Primer change didn't help unfortunately.

MOA is honestly probably all this rifle is capable of, it'll be plenty good for a 300yd rifle which is all I'll be using it for.

View attachment 385676
Are you shooting at 100y? I would be very curious to know your group size at 200 or 300y.