Hammer hunters on game 600 yards +

bgbuck153

After reading so many positive things about these bullets I haven't seen any reports on game at 600 - 1,000 yards PLUS. I'm wanting to take the jump to them with my 28 nosler and 6.5 PRC but I want to see if anyones has tried them on game at long range.

Last edited:

I hope more chime in. I get a lot of calls and emails with results, but most people do not post. Our longest shot last year was my buddy who shot his cow at 617y with his 30-06 running the 166g Hammer Hunter. Pure heart shot, she traveled about 10y and stood there for a couple of seconds and tipped over.

This was 2 years ago, 7 RUM 143 HH at 3,630 fps ~650-ish yards broadside, cow stood there for about 10 seconds without moving and my buddy said "I think you missed" but I heard it hit. She finally tipped over forward without ever taking a step and slid ~150 yards down the hill gushing blood the whole way. I went to the spot where she was hit and she had stood there squirting blood out like you had peed and melted the snow. Fifty cent piece exit.
thumbnail (29).jpg

recommended minimum expansion is 1800fps on most of the HH bullets, check your ballistic app and see how far that is for your load-- your "max distance" is going to depend on your combo, I have a 16" 308 that should only go out to 600y, yet my 7rm load will put my max over 1000

I well aware of the minimum velocity I'm just wanting to see some real world damage they cause at 600+ yards. Shooting a deer/elk in the shoulder isn't going to get the same results as shooting one between the ribs.

Shooting a critter of any kind in the shoulder never gives you the same results as shooting one behind the shoulder.....

I well aware of the minimum velocity I'm just wanting to see some real world damage they cause at 600+ yards. Shooting a deer/elk in the shoulder isn't going to get the same results as shooting one between the ribs.
Either way the same thing will happen; the front of the bullet will will open up and the petals will break off, and the remaining shank looking like a wad cutter bullet will penetrate and most likely exit.
I am setting up a 2nd rifle for a friend to shoot inside 650 yards and found the stated BC to be slightly higher at these shorter ranges as BC is an average and gets lower as velocity drops. This particular rifle is a RUM shooting the 181 Shock Hammer at 3,310 fps. The difference in BC to the Hammer Hunter is minimal inside 650 yards and the massive open tip on the Shock Hammer looks devastating. Can't wait to see it in action !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.