Hammer Bullets in 300wsm for Elk

You might want to look at the new Hammer Hunter Tipped bullets . I ordered some yesterday.163HHT for my Lazzeroni 30cal. short mag Patriot and the 182HHT for my 30 cal. Lazzeroni long mag Warbird . Will run them around 3300FPS and 3500FPS respectively. Both are 1-10 twist. The HHT's have better BC's. Call Mr. Steve at Hammer, he is always available and very helpful, super nice.

Rifle is a Tikka T3 24" barrel with a slow 1-11 twist I believe.
Here's my load, it's fast.
152 Hammer hunter
70.4 grains of RL 16
Federal 215
Winchester brass
OAL 2.888 I used the Lee crimp die with about a quarter turn.
When I came up with the load my gun was still pretty new, barrel has gotten faster.
Started at 3378 now I'm around 3450fps
5 shot group at 100 yards I can cover with a pop bottle cap.
I've shot 4 elk and a moose with them, they performed perfectly.
I've been trying to find RL26 for months and can't . Mr. Steve , at Hammer, told me yesterday that Vithavouri N560 loads very close to RL26 , N560 might also be easier to find . I failed to ask Steve if speed is same or close, will call him back today and ask this question.

Last edited:
180 grain Hornady Interbond over 64.5 H4350 and cci 250 is a bolt of lightning on them. I didn't even know Hornady had a interbond projectile until a friend introduced them awhile back, only ever heard of the interlock. The bonded hold their weight a whole lot better and hit hard on elk. They were not picky about otl for loading either, wish I had some knowledge of hammer but I have yet to try them.

I have loaded 180ttsx in my 300wby mag and shoot great. I was thinking the 130's might be a little light for elk but I want accuracy over brute energy. Please share
168 TTSX , it is of course faster and opens at lower than 1800FPS, if I remember correctly, Randy @ Barnes told me it opens around 1600 FPS. I always called Barnes before loading a particular bullet and got this info. This being said , I have switched to the Hammer Bullet line for all my hunting rifles after seeing how they performed last year on paper and in the field on game. JMHO

I have been shooting Berger bullets but I am considering using Hammer bullets. Does anyone have a preferred bullet and load for 300wsm they are willing to share?
I have very recent terminal performance test on 2 black bears with the 181s out of a 300 WSM, and they were devastating. I have since loaded the 165s for a friend in his 300 WSM, and they are crazy accurate, and ~3150 FPS, which means that they will perform as intended for quite a range of distances. If it were me, and with all of the research and proof of terminal performance, I would actually lean more toward lighter/faster.
I know this is a departure from traditional thinking on larger game like elk, but you really need to take the time to understand how the bullet functions, terminally. Not to say that they weight doesn't matter, but it is less important, by far, than the velocity side of things. The maximum performance is achieved with extreme velocities, from a terminal perspective. DO NOT be afraid to go lighter/faster. My next load for my 300 WSM will be the 165s or lighter. Reach out in a PM for more details on this load, and I will share.

I have very recent terminal performance test on 2 black bears with the 181s out of a 300 WSM, and they were devastating. I have since loaded the 165s for a friend in his 300 WSM, and they are crazy accurate, and ~3150 FPS, which means that they will perform as intended for quite a range of distances. If it were me, and with all of the research and proof of terminal performance, I would actually lean more toward lighter/faster.
I know this is a departure from traditional thinking on larger game like elk, but you really need to take the time to understand how the bullet functions, terminally. Not to say that they weight doesn't matter, but it is less important, by far, than the velocity side of things. The maximum performance is achieved with extreme velocities, from a terminal perspective. DO NOT be afraid to go lighter/faster. My next load for my 300 WSM will be the 165s or lighter. Reach out in a PM for more details on this load, and I will share.
Totally agree!

I've been trying to find RL16 for months and can't . Mr. Steve , at Hammer, told me yesterday that Vithavouri N560 loads very close to RL26 , N560 might also be easier to find . I failed to ask Steve if speed is same or close, will call him back today and ask this question.
Natchez and MidwayUSA had 8#' RL16 a week ago.