300wsm and 190vld for elk question

Ltsheets

Before I start pulling some bullets and reloading for more velocity, I'm curious what you guys think about this load for elk...especially those of you with berger experience. My 300wsm shoots a 190vld in the current load at around 2600 fps and 1/2 MOA. I doubt I'd shoot past 600 yds at a bull even under perfect conditions. At 600 yds, according to my calculations, this combo should still be moving 1915 fps and have 1547 ft/lbs of energy. At close ranges I'd be fine with this combo even on a quartering to angle but that those ranges I'd hesitate on anything but perfectly broadside. I'm curious what you guys think about this choice of bullet out to 600 yards? This would also be my backup rifle most likely as my 28 Nosler shooting 160ABs at 3230fps will be my most likely primary rifle.

Likely over with now. I loaded a simple 165 grain Gameking in my 300WSM with H-4350. One shot & the Bull Elk was down.

67.5gn of Vitavouri N560 gets me pretty consistently around 2900 ft/sec with a 210gn Berger VLD on my chrono. No pressure signs. 3 shots at 100yds covered by a dime. I'm a big VV powder fan but not a fan of the cost. I'd think youd get more velocity but I'm a gun painter not necessarily a reloading expert.
BTW I also shoot a 300shortmag. Great caliber and not finnicky

Im shooting a 300 WSM with a 180 berger elite. Killed my Bull this year at 400 yards.

My load is 66 grains of H4350, WLRM, Remington brass, 2.98 COAL. Comes out of a 24" barrel at 3035fps.

Sorry just found this thread. I am hunting with this bullet in my 300 wsm. RL-17 and just over 2800 FPS. Two elk in two years. One at 432 yards, the other just over 450. Both broadside shots. Fantastic performance. Both were complete pass through, with one taking a rib on the exit. Neither bull went more than 20 yards.
Was I supposed to get that kind of performance? Two days before this years elk I killed a 4 x 4 mule deer. 300 yards. Buck slightly facing away and slightly uphill. Found buck after short tracking job with no blood trail. Discovered lead core while cleaning. Found jacket when skinning. A bit confused...have killed 4 mule deer with this bullet and all have been broadside pass through with carnage in between. All have had substantial exit wounds. Until this last deer.

Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.