Hammer Bullet Weights

2buffalo

I tried 169g and 177g HH bullets out of a new 28 Nosler. The 169g shot a .58" group at 100 yds first five shots at 3287 fps so I was happy with that. After reading alot of posts on here most people seem to like the 143g. I also contacted Hammer and they also suggested the 143g on antelope to elk sized game. Of course I asked these questions after I decided on the 169.

Is there a much better terminal performance with the 143g over the 169g? And if there is in what circumstances would someone choose the 169 over the 143? If there is none why offer the 169?

I shot the 169's all last year. I was totally happy with them. I would just stick with them. They both have very similar nose dimensions and hollow point depths. The 169's just have a little longer shank. The 143's can get up to 3450+fps. Punch in the ballistics and see if you like it. I stuck with the 169's.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't really considered Hammer bullets since I had never used them before. They shot so well I figured I may as well give them a try. Was just a bit confused when everywhere I read it says 143g for the 28. The drops aren't that much different and at 3300 fps with a 169g projectile it seems it would do as much damage if not more as a 143g doing 3500 fps. But I am no expert in this.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't really considered Hammer bullets since I had never used them before. They shot so well I figured I may as well give them a try. Was just a bit confused when everywhere I read it says 143g for the 28. The drops aren't that much different and at 3300 fps with a 169g projectile it seems it would do as much damage if not more as a 143g doing 3500 fps. But I am no expert in this.
Yeah you're fine with the 169. When you start drop validation, I'd start around .24-.25 on the G7 input though.

You could throw the 155 HH in the mix as well. I have a load with the 155's in my 7Rum running at 3485 and scary accurate. I chose that because I run the 143's in my 7 Rem Mag and wanted a tad heavier bullet and a better bc. However your 169's at 3300 would be bad medicine on big game! happy shooting, Jason

Makes me wonder if all this is over thinking things. 143@3600 155@3500 169@3300 would you ever see an actual difference in how well it kills?

I'm extremely versed at overthinking when it comes to loading, hunting, and shooting. I get nervous when I come to a quick conclusion. At my age, I don't see any change coming nor is there any interest in changing. Enjoy the process as you will be more than happy with whatever Hammer load you choose. Now that I'm thinking about it (lol), load them both!

Light and fast is definitely making a comeback, but isn't the price increased throat erosion? For that reason I prefer a heavier bullet. The 28N can be pretty hard on barrels as is.