HAMMER 7MM 143 VS 177 FOR ELK

6EBD424D-126F-46B2-A5D7-739752CFD151.jpeg
6EBD424D-126F-46B2-A5D7-739752CFD151.jpeg

Fact VS feelings.

"I spoke w/ hammer bullets and they reccomend 143 for elk. But i am more of a heavy bullet kinda guy."

Can't see how a thread looking for reassuring comments from a forums patrons would be better than the manufacturers recommendation.
But my recommendation of a 160 Accubond comes from watching elk die time and again from 50 to 600 yards with them.

At 400 yards practice would be the most useful advice. Practice with the bullet that shoots the best.
Ya what a azzhole.

The manufacturer said either would work well, but they prefer the lighter bullet @ high velocity. I have read through the forums but little info exists on the 177's. I am looking for real world experience with 7mm hammers. Preferably at 28 nos velocities.

I didnt ask what the best bullet in the world is, i didnt ask what bullet has killed more elk than any other. I didnt title the post "nube here looking for direction"

Im glad you've found something that works for you. Im glad you are successful. Good for you. I wont be shooting 160 acubonds.

I wouldnt be so naive as to assume inexperience from anyone on this forum. I am sure everyone who has commented in this thread has experience killing elk. But hey, if you want to keep flexing your big head then by all means.

I guess I don't really have an exciting answer for you, but if the bullet designer and manufacturer is telling you what they would do if put in your shoes I'd probably start there. If you want to do it your way then go for it, no one here will fault you because either bullet will get the job done.

A 143 @ 3700 or 155 at 3500fps is going to kill with authority inside of 600yds. I will say that the 177 shows awesome trace into the target. There will be some barrel treatments coming in the next year or 2 that should prolong barrel life so it's no longer an issue. The sig fury and Hoplite arms are loading to 80k and the treatment is making barrel life longer than break in if you did it without these treatments. Food for thought to be on the look out for in the overbore magnums

Good info. I appreciate it.

I think i threw everyone off by saying 400 is normal. 400 is about the closest i regularly see elk. Its wide open country. From there it goes out as far as you want to shoot. I regularly spot elk out past 1500 yds. Daily even. Its not uncommon to spot 30+ per day. Which i realize is a small # compared to some.

I would like to have a balanced setup that works from 25 yds to 800 yds.

Perhaps i am missing something with the 143's. I was thinking the reasoning behind them was super flat shooting. With the setup i am using i am less concerned with flat shooting than i am with good bullet performance. The larger bullet should handle wind better, has higher bc, and as was mentioned earlier bigger petals. But i could be fully missing something. I dont claim to know everything and i posted this thread to learn.

Good info. I appreciate it.

I think i threw everyone off by saying 400 is normal. 400 is about the closest i regularly see elk. Its wide open country. From there it goes out as far as you want to shoot. I regularly spot elk out past 1500 yds. Daily even. Its not uncommon to spot 30+ per day. Which i realize is a small # compared to some.

I would like to have a balanced setup that works from 25 yds to 800 yds.

Perhaps i am missing something with the 143's. I was thinking the reasoning behind them was super flat shooting. With the setup i am using i am less concerned with flat shooting than i am with good bullet performance. The larger bullet should handle wind better, has higher bc, and as was mentioned earlier bigger petals. But i could be fully missing something. I dont claim to know everything and i posted this thread to learn.
For monos, the higher velocities negate most of the lower BC issues. I like the heavies like you do. The 177 will be a freight train. Hammer bullets just perform well. It's why I've switched to them in all my hunting cartridges.
Your 28 is a twin to my 7 STW. I run the 177 under 3100 fps because it's just so accurate at that particular load. I know you can get 3100-3200 fps. I use RL26. I would think RL33, H1000 and Retumbo would be the powders that would serve you well, too. H1000 is my go to powder in the 7 STW.

The Hammer appears to be a hollowtip monometal bullet much like the TSX.
Starting out @3100 the 177 drops about 15 feet @1000 yards in the 28 Nosler.
Velocity about 1800, energy about 1300.
At those levels, difficult to see and real advantage over the 162 ELDX which has a higher BC.

The Hammer appears to be a hollowtip monometal bullet much like the TSX.
Starting out @3100 the 177 drops about 15 feet @1000 yards in the 28 Nosler.
Velocity about 1800, energy about 1300.
At those levels, difficult to see and real advantage over the 162 ELDX which has a higher BC.
If you're going to compare Hammer bullets to others, Cutting Edge bullets are what I've found are closest when using QuickLoad.
The 177 really gets going and shines past 600 yards
The ELDX and Hammer are 2 totally different bullets. It's apples to oranges.

The bullets are constructed differently but there is no published evidence that their performance from 600 -1000 yards would be any different.

No match bullets have grooves in them. If grooves makes faster, match bullets would have them.

The Berger 175 elite has a tested BC higher than the Hammer's estimated. It appears to shoot flatter and have more retained energy.

For monos, the higher velocities negate most of the lower BC issues. I like the heavies like you do. The 177 will be a freight train. Hammer bullets just perform well. It's why I've switched to them in all my hunting cartridges.
Your 28 is a twin to my 7 STW. I run the 177 under 3100 fps because it's just so accurate at that particular load. I know you can get 3100-3200 fps. I use RL26. I would think RL33, H1000 and Retumbo would be the powders that would serve you well, too. H1000 is my go to powder in the 7 STW.
Very good info. This is the type of feedback i am looking for. Like you i am not super interested in running max velocity, i would like to preserve barrel life if at all possible.

Do you have experience with hammers @ close range high velocities? I would think they perform equally well.

Very good info. This is the type of feedback i am looking for. Like you i am not super interested in running max velocity, i would like to preserve barrel life if at all possible.

Do you have experience with hammers @ close range high velocities? I would think they perform equally well.
Hammers at high velocity close range are devastating.....I'm shooting them in 8 different cartridges(220 Swift, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 6.5 CM, 264 WM, 280 Rem, 280 Ackley, 300 Wby).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.