Hammer 181 Hunters leaving an oblong hole in the target

It seems my opinion and experience are not needed here I think. I was just going to interject that when I see a stabilization quotient of 1.2 - 1.6; I cringe and wince. I do not feel safe unless it says 2.0 or better. I have learned that anything solid copper loves the faster twists. My experience with Barnes, Hammer, Hornady, and another I just can not remember the name right now.. Cutting Edge.. that is the other ones. I found that my 300 win mag, 270 Win, 270 WSM, 338 Win Mag and 338 Lapua Mag worked best with lighter slugs when I did not have a tight twist. I had to go to a 1:8" twist for my 300 W/M to shoot 170/175 grain class and heavier. I also had to go to a 1:8" for my 270 Win and 270 WSM to shoot the 140+ grain copper slugs. also, the solid copper slug take more time (distance) to stabilize properly. the 180+ grain 30 calibers take 200 yards to fall into a dead sleep on their way to the target. this goes for 150 grain 270 caliber, 180+ 30 caliber, and the heaviest 338 calibers. I have run into this phenomenon with heavy long VLD lead core hunting and target slugs as well. I have also had verbal arguments with other shooters as to why their targets look odd, then I shoot their gun/slug combo at 200 or 300 and show them the difference.
Just saying, solid copper likes faster twists and they take time to stabilize properly. 30 years target (1000 yard) and shooting/hunting experience talking here. do with the information what you want. my clients would like to speak to me now.. later tatters.

After manually checking the twist rate, it was not a 1 in 10 as I was told but a 1 in 12. I had a great conversation with Steve this morning about MY mistake and he is sending me a box of 152 gr. Hunters to try. What awesome customer service. Even though in no way was it Hammers bullets fault he still went above and beyond to help me out.
GREAT GUY and a GREAT Company!!

I had the same problem on a RUM. I am shooting the 152 HH as that is what I had on hand...can you say lazerbeam!!!

.......After manually checking the twist rate, it was not a 1 in 10 as I was told but a 1 in 12.......

As collectively (Not Just Hammer's or Mono's) our LR bullets get longer, I wonder how often a marginal twist, say a 0.25"-0.5" alter our experience user to user?????

[QUOTE="RockyMtnMT, post: 1670145, member:......Then there is every now and then a barrel that simply does weird things to bullets. Where two diff rifles with the same specs have very diff results. Bullets are perfect until you shove them through a barrel. lol........[/QUOTE]

My experience with Hammer's/mono's seems to frequently trip the part of my brain not damaged by casting them from lead:confused:

Check the number of sizing dies available up and down from barrel manufacturer expressed caliber, against what actual mould diameter drops. Then there is material, and material/mould temp.

Not trying to start a panic of folks slugging barrels, but holding the thought in mind barrels at their best are within tolerances. The certain amount of swaging that is forgivable in a jacketed bullet, might not get as far in a mono.

Bullets are easy to blame, barrels cost more.

UPDATE:

Just got back from the range and am very happy with the results using the 152 Hammer Hunters that Steve suggested, and sent me to try. Ended up using 113 gr. of Reloder 25 and getting 3600 fps. and great grouping. Maybe with trying different powders I could get a little more velocity. Any powder suggestions for a 30-378 using 150-152 gr. bullets would be very much appreciated.

Thanks again Steve for the great service and your help

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.