Had to laugh

600BP

Short story reads; my friend who is a hardcore bow hunter put me on a lease he recently obtained. He has several stands set up on a food plot 300 yards long and 100 yards wide. Since the start of the bow season he couldn't get any deer in bow range, always claiming that they would come out on the opposite end of the food plot. He asks if I would come up for the gun season and take a management deer (or two). Since I'm always willing to help, I told him I would be up.

I knew that max 300 yards would be a chip shot so I loaded up some 180gr pills in my 8mm mag (3100 fps) and sat there opening morning. I didn't see anything, until just before the close of the day. Out of nowhere a management doe walked out onto the plot, directly underneath my buddy's bow stand, 27 yards from my position (yes...27 yards). It took all I could not to stop laughing. But thankfully, due to all of the range time I put in, I was able to take the animal without a problem. :D

Needless to say, I was embarrassed to tell him or anyone else of my long range hunting experience. Please tell me that I am not the only one who had this happen????

LOL last year after all my shooting practice finally the opening day arrived, had some elk at about 300 yds but passed on any shots, the next morning I shot my 6x6 bull at 60 feet, walking straight towards me, all my buddies said I had to shoot for self defense

The first year I tried LR hunting I had my zero out way to far and ended up using hold unders. Another thing that helps get game in on top of you is to pack your 13lb LR rifle to the top of the highest ridge, they will be running all over ya at the top :D they know you won't be able to swing that pig of a rifle.

You are most definitely not alone. I shot a yearling doe this year at a laser-ranged 12 yards... ...with a .375 H&H. Nimrod I am not. Still counts at dinner time though.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.